The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Sort of the bible for CFS500 is CWO4Gunner's review and modification thread. I read a bit of it and toward the end there's a suggestion to put the filter on a timer for a periodic shutdown to allow air that accumulates from cavitation to escape. See page 25, post #248. Maybe that's got something to do with your issue?
Could be! Thanks! I read through some of it but got out off by the bickering in the thread. I'll read through it again to see what else I missed. Otherwise, it's doing a great job for me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
MAJOR rescape this weekend with some good RAOK. Floaters are corralled, swords have light & room. Crypts & Crinum made it through a 10 day ship in freezing cold & are starting to take off. One of my swords just bloomed & has a baby hanging at the top of the tank. Will look better when everything grows in but may need to talk to Gordon about more crypt balansae. Here's why it looks like now.
Water Plant Plant community Green Pet supply
Also cleaned out my CFS500 for the first time since installing 2 months ago. Relatively painless & back to work within 15 minutes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It looks fantastic!! It's like, a deep jungle on one side, then opens up to a lovely glade on the other side. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It looks fantastic!! It's like, a deep jungle on one side, then opens up to a lovely glade on the other side. :D
Thanks! The floaters do a good job of shading my anubias, bolbitis and java, then I leave the other side open for the stuff that needs more light.

Starting into the journey of making my own fertilizers as of today. Have had the chemicals for a few weeks but have been using up the Flourish comprehensive before I mixed anything up. Can't wait to see how it goes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
How did you corral those floaters?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
How did you corral those floaters?
Air tubing with a knot tied on each end so it floats. One end anchored in a planter on the back of the tank, the other end with a thread tied around it & tied by the front of my light

·
Registered
384 Posts
Air tubing with a knot tied on each end so it floats. One end anchored in a planter on the back of the tank, the other end with a thread tied around it & tied by the front of my light
Interesting idea! :)

Love the progression of your plantings

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Interesting idea! :)

Love the progression of your plantings
Thanks so much! Swords are pearling daily. Replaced the water wisteria in the back right with green cabomba. Now looking for purple cabomba to join it. Just getting over a heavy infestation of slime algae. Thank goodness for hydrogen peroxide & Metricide. BN plecos are filling up with the dead algae - wouldn't touch it when it was trying to take over.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I'll trade you two cases of beer for the tank? Double your original investment :proud:

Welcome. Nicely done!!!
LOL! Thanks for the offer & the welcome. I think I'll keep playing with it for a while longer. Got a bit more than a couple cases worth in it now. :beer:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looking good and plants are coming along nicely. Congrats on the Angels spawning. I had some in a previous set up that had started spawning before I had to break down the tank. Never did get part the laying the eggs stage, but it was really interesting to watch them defend the eggs for a day.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Angel eggs

Thanks, BarbH. That's about how long the eggs lasted - a day. By the time I got home from work, the eggs were all white and they were gone by this morning but it was funny watching them protect them and try to fan them. They're still protecting their corner from all comers (except the bottom feeders) so I'm sure they'll try again. :icon_smil

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm thinking about it seriously. Any suggestions?

I was looking at some oto's but couldn't find any at the time. Have a better source for fish now.

Anyone want to take on a now 5-6" common pleco for rehoming? I've added an RAOK in the forum for anyone interested.
Bristlenose plecs would be fine I have four in a 56g because they only get to around 5-6" as a max depending on male and female and are pretty (well I think they are). Otos and Shrimp like Amanos would be good too.

Nice tank though I'll swap you for a bottle of jack. :wink:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks, BarbH. That's about how long the eggs lasted - a day. By the time I got home from work, the eggs were all white and they were gone by this morning but it was funny watching them protect them and try to fan them. They're still protecting their corner from all comers (except the bottom feeders) so I'm sure they'll try again. :icon_smil
Not unusual for their first couple of tries. With mine they tried again about a month later.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

61 - 80 of 85 Posts