The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Preuss Pets is going to help with rehoming my pleco. Then I can get something more appropriately sized for my aquarium.

Looking at using some of the extra rocks I have to create a terrace in the back left of the tank for African Water ferns

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Excellent news for the pleco :)

I love terraced scapes! What kind of stone do you have in mind for it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have some petrified wood & lava-type rocks that came with the tank that I'm going to use for both creating the terrace & anchoring the water fern. I'll move the driftwood with the anubias to the back right of the tank & rearrange a couple crypts so I don't hurt them. Probably going to get the pot-caves out of there & make more hidey-holes with rock & driftwood.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Also lets me play with crazy glue & stacking rocks - simple entertainment is best, right? Add a glass or two of wine to the mix & it could get interesting!

I can tell you're my kind of people. :D Sounds like a fun evening some time, I can't wait to see what comes of it!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Expecting a package soon with 2 rhizomes of African Water Fern and one next week with two small albino bristle nose plecos to take the place of the common pleco I'm rehoming. Haven't tried ordering through the for sale or trade forums before. Should be interesting to see how things come out. So far, it's been a relatively painless process but I don't have everything in the tank yet.

Working this weekend on removing the "caves" from the tank and rescaping the back corners into terraces with suitable pleco caves. I've got an idea in mind to help the terraces stay where I put them. I'll let you all know how it goes!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, my African Water Ferns arrived & assumed their position in the tank (see left) with a little rescape. Pleco goes to Preuss Pets tomorrow. Picking up 6 more cardinals & 1 or 2 anubias for the back left like the ones I moved to back right.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
6 more cardinals, anubias congentis (back left), anubias nana (front left), Christmas moss on the driftwood in the back & rearranged the water wisteria after tearing most of it up chasing the pleco to rehome! Very healthy fish- took 30 minutes of chase to wear him out enough I could catch him! Also picked up some floaters - dwarf water lettuce, red root floater & duck weed that my fish have already polished off. Other than cleaning & fertilizing, I think I'm done for a while! Time to let things settle in for a bit. Add the plecos next week & call it good. Time to find my good camera & get some better shots.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Question about filtration?

Looking good! Thanks for the update!!
Thanks!

Now I'm looking at filtration. I have 2 Aquaclear 50s on the tank now, but water is not getting as clear as I'd like. I've looked at a number of filtration systems, read over posts here on the forum and looked at pricing.

I'm considering either upgrading to 2 Aquaclear 110s or changing to a canister. Would like to keep cost to what the Aquaclears would cost. Any suggestions for a good canister filter for my 90 gal? What would be the benefit of moving from HOB to canister?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am in the process of doing this very thing. Replacing my 2 HOBS for 2 medium canisters. I think it's just more of a personal preference really. My HOBs have been working great, but I don't like the water fall that I get because it knocks my fish around if they pass under it and it is noisy. I liked the sound the first year, but now I hate it. I did eleviate the waterfalls for awhile by keeping the water level high enough the filter flow would just ripple across the surface, but that didn't work too good when we had an eartquake 2 weeks ago. Water was slopping out both sides of my tank and I thought fish were going to be carried right out with it!

I also like that canisters have more room for biological filtration as well as being hidden away from view ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I find the waterfall noise rather soothing, but I can see where it could become irritating. Not sure if just upping the HOB capacity will clean things up as much as I'd like.

Can I ask which canisters you're considering? Won't be able to do anything until after Christmas, but do like to research before jumping.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I find the waterfall noise rather soothing, but I can see where it could become irritating. Not sure if just upping the HOB capacity will clean things up as much as I'd like.

Can I ask which canisters you're considering? Won't be able to do anything until after Christmas, but do like to research before jumping.

I am getting two Rena Filstar XP2's. It took me a year of reading reviews about canisters before I finally settled. There's a lot to concider and something often overlooked is what is available to you if something goes wrong and you need replacement parts. I will not have a problem with this here. Also, there hasn't been many negative reviews about leaking, broken latches, cracks ect with this brand like some of the others.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just bought

Well, it's not a brand name, but we'll see how it works. I just bought an Odyssea CF500 canister filter for the tank. I will pull one of the AquaClear 50s and see how things go. BTW, I added pre-filter sponges on the intakes of the AquaClears and it made a HUGE difference in water clarity.

Just got in a shipment of 3 albino BN plecos and a HUGE mat of Java fern and Bolbitis heudoliti from here on the forum and they're adding a good note to the tank. Update pictures in a bit.

Thanks for looking!:)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, it's not a brand name, but we'll see how it works. I just bought an Odyssea CF500 canister filter for the tank. I will pull one of the AquaClear 50s and see how things go. BTW, I added pre-filter sponges on the intakes of the AquaClears and it made a HUGE difference in water clarity.

Just got in a shipment of 3 albino BN plecos and a HUGE mat of Java fern and Bolbitis heudoliti from here on the forum and they're adding a good note to the tank. Update pictures in a bit.

Thanks for looking!:)
Great! Sounds like things are going well for you. Looking forward to seeing your new pics :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Plant Water Botany Terrestrial plant Organism

Tank with new plants & inhabitants. Still need more plant height in the corners. I think it's time to trim the water wisteria & see what I can do with that. What I have has doubled in the past month. Will also be adding Hygrophilia pinnafitada (sp?) to the tank soon. We'll see how it will do in the higher light areas of the tank.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.