The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum & wanted to introduce myself & my tank. I'm an RN in a small hospital. A friend had a 90 gal tank he didn't want & I had a 20 gal long I wanted to upgrade, so he brought me the tank for a case of beer & I dug in
Wood Property Wood stain Glass Hardwood
I used the substrates from both tanks, added another Aquaclear 50 & let the tank settle
Wood Green Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium
I've gradually, over the past month, been adding fish & plants. I use ro water for water changes (liquid rock from the tap), no nitrates or nitrites showing on test. Have 12 black skirt tetras, 13 cardinals, 6 emerald cories & 1 plain pleco
Organism Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Fish supply
Plants are anubias, Javas, an Amazon sword, some water wisteria & Christmas & flame moss.
Loving this forum & looking forward to learning more!
Tetranerd
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All plants except the back right corner behind the wisteria are real. Not really scaped, just a couple great driftwood pieces (center & back left) some seriyu rock & a couple caves that I may lose or keep. The pleco seems to like them. Lights are a couple 6000 K T8 fluourescent lights in a shoplight fixture on top of the tank. Water changes are 20% weekly, occasionally 50% if needed. So far, so good. Will be adding 12 more cardinals & calling it good for a while! I have a bunch if other large rocks I'm going to sell soon, when I get a few minutes to turn around :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to the site, there is a lot of great information and people on here. Wish I could get a deal like you got, must be a great friend. Just make sure you research into certain plants that have strong roots because your pleco will get big over time and may uproot smaller plants. What I did when I first started keeping plants was edit my photo of my tank, with lines running to each plant stating what each one was. This made it easier for me until I knew them by heart. If you need anything feel free to message me, and I'll try to help. Good luck with your tank down the road!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Getting rid of the pleco

I will remove the plain pleco. I'm guessing it's a common pleco. Will out grow that tank.
I'm thinking about it seriously. Any suggestions?

I was looking at some oto's but couldn't find any at the time. Have a better source for fish now.

Anyone want to take on a now 5-6" common pleco for rehoming? I've added an RAOK in the forum for anyone interested.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Editing tank photo

... What I did when I first started keeping plants was edit my photo of my tank, with lines running to each plant stating what each one was. This made it easier for me until I knew them by heart....
That's a great tip, StraightAddicted! Thanks so much. I'm playing with it now!

·
Registered
427 Posts
90-gallon for a case or beer. Can you introduce me to your friends? :D

Seriously, though, nice tank. even "un-scaped" it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's a great tip, StraightAddicted! Thanks so much. I'm playing with it now!
Not a problem sir, and if your going to RAOK a pleco, def look into how to ship. If its to complicated see if any pet stores will take the guy for some credit you could use towards otos, SAE, or something else.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Preuss Pets is going to help with rehoming my pleco. Then I can get something more appropriately sized for my aquarium.

Looking at using some of the extra rocks I have to create a terrace in the back left of the tank for African Water ferns

1 - 20 of 85 Posts