The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male German RAM. Hes kind of a prick. Picks on everyone except the rainbows(larger than him). Seems to like to Chase the honey gourami the most, I think because theyre similar sized and both brightly colored, and seem to fill a similar niche. Mostly he broadsides the gourami when he's not paying attention. I think the gourami is near sighted, because head to head it is a stand off. Sometimes the gourami sneaks up on him too. He's the only fish I've ever had that bullies corys.

If I introduce a female, will that curb his agression?

Maybe the tank is just too small. 29g heavily planted.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
G rated website (including my 12yr old)
and adding a female won't fix a nasty attitude but make it worse if they spawn.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Spawning aside adding the female will most certainly divert his attention in my experience - the problem being there is as good a chance as her becoming the next victim instead of a mate. then there is the issue of aggression from the pair if they do work out.

Personally I do not keep different kinds of territorial fish in the same tank unless it is a much larger setup - it creates aggression and stress which is really best avoided, especially considered the bullied really have nowhere to go.

So my only advice is to choose between the gourami or cichlids, and given that the krib is unusually aggressive I'd drop him out of the picture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.