The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm Jonah. I'm coming to the Paludarium world from the reef world. I'd like to convert this case that I've been using to a paludarium:

Here's the current look:

I'd like to swap out the center for a combination of these two designs:

First a Sump version:

Then something that has more dry room:

If I use the sump I'll go with a 75 w/overflow, if not a 90 gallon without I think. The glass is 36", any input on thickness for a 36x25 pane? I'm hoping to use shower tracks for the doors.

Feedback? I'm hoping to keep salamanders, frogs and hopefully a couple of geckos, if it'd be safe for them. I'm also considering using the 27 gallon on the left of the first picture as a dedicated gecko tank if the paludarium isn't safe for them.

Best,

Jonah

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Bruchim habaim
asher koach :proud:

I took a 6'x12' wall unit, ripped the bar door and shelving out, and use that cavity for my 29gal fish tank.
I really like seeing how tanks can be seamlessly integrated into shelving such as with your handiwork.

mine looks similar to this, with the right side square cabinet housing a 32" TV,
and the left side square cabinet housing my fish tank and Orbit light fixture.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i personally wouldn't put salamanders with anything, newts yes, and a few frogs can be kept together with newts.
what kinds of gekcos?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I didn't get your replies, hmm...

Firstly, Shalom Aleychim! Good to see cross-national Jewish aquarist great minds and all... What tipped you off that I was Jewish?? :wink:

Dufus, I'm not sure which geckos, I wouldn't want anybody that could drown.

Is it a behavioral thing with the salamanders?

I've updated my design, this shown without the doors:

I found some 48x24" shelves at Home Depot that are rated for 4000# for $80

What that'll allow me to do is place a 6" planting area behind the tank. I'm also planning on adding 6" access doors on the side to simplify trimming if I don't want to open the big doors and risk an escape.

J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've become a real fan of sumps, the extra water volume alone makes it worth it for me. Besides, I have the tanks already and would prefer to have all of the pumps and heaters external to the tank to make aquascaping easier.

I like the aquascaping in your 29, it doesn't seem like you've had any trouble hiding the pumps and heaters :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The salamanders sren't so much bad behaved, more that their minds are programmed like a crocodile or tiger's. "What's this? Let me give it a taste! chomp!!!!!"

I wouldn't worry about drowning geckos if you do a natural background. Just don't get terrestrail geckos such as leopard geckos, fat tails,bandeds, etc. get some arboreals such as day geckos or house geckos.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Should be an interesting tank, I would suggest some Day geckos those are one of my favorites! Maybe PDFs? I'm not sure.

As for the Jewish thing, The shelf with the Fish food looks like it also has some books that aren't exactly English... And if you know something about the star of David it might give it away...

So keep this updated!

-Andrew

(sorry I can't think of what written language Jewish things are written in... I know there are a few, but Just can't think of what they're called:help: )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day geckos would do ok if they fell in the water? I plan on having some surface plants like lillies to help them have a place to climb out if they fall in.

J

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Day geckos would do ok if they fell in the water? I plan on having some surface plants like lillies to help them have a place to climb out if they fall in.

J
Ohh thats a good point. I'm not sure. I know whites tree frogs would love that viv though. Same with RETs I think...

-Andrew

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I've become a real fan of sumps, and would prefer to have all of the pumps and heaters external to the tank to make aquascaping easier. it doesn't seem like you've had any trouble hiding the pumps and heaters
I suppose if you have leftover salt accessories geared toward sump use, then you may as well stay with it. Most here get In-line heaters, UV, Co2 Diffusers working along their canister filter outlets, which greatly reduces the space and maintenance needed when compared to a sump based system. In-line solution users may top off your tank less often.

In my 29gal plants do make it easy to hide wires and tank plumbing. I don't use a heater even during the winter as Freshwater fish and plants tolerate a wider temperature range than saltwater fish do. I only use a UV shortly after a water change. I prefer in-tank Co2 diffusion so the small bubbles can be circulated in my tank, not just diffused into my water.

I don't recommend using my 29gal as a good example of anything here, since it's designed to host the widest variety of plant samples, and allow me to experiment with different growing techniques, until such time as I can afford the $1,000 for a >100gal used breeder tank, hardscape, compressed Co2, MH lighting, greater filtration capacity, etc.

I can't think of what written language Jewish things are written in... I know there are a few
ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Yiddish, modern Hebrew, using at least 3 distinctive alphabet writing styles.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread; if you have any more such quandaries, please PM me privately.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Day geckos, as with all lizards, can naturally swim to a dry spot. though i doubt they would fall often. Have you ever tried to catch one? very agile they are!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the replies, good things to think about. I appreciate the warm welcome.

I'll have to think it over, you make a strong case on the no-sump bit.

There are definitely White's in our future. I'm going to have to go with larger specimens so they don't get lost in the almost 40 feet of cubic space I'm creating.

I didn't know that about most lizards being able to swim, is it just some frogs that aren't able to?

I know that they said at the store that some frogs without webbed feet often drown in these types of setups. I'd hate to have that on my conscience.

Could a chameleon work in this type of setup?

Thanks for keeping the thread on track, you can pm me on any Judaica questions as well.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Whites are very predatory, eating anythiing possible(including your geckos or chams)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts