The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen their Angels do this.
I have a trio, all same age, one is larger than the others. I don't know the sex of them, no spawning yet, I think they are still too young.
I've been watching the tank and occasionally, one fish will swim up to the other to shoo it away, other may retaliate by flicking it's dorsal and pectoral fins forward. The aggressor also flicks back. Or one fish is swimming along and the other passes by, so the first fish flicks as to say 'don't bother/mess with me.'
They are very calm and laid back, never seen them really go after each other or anything like that. The flicking is subtle and you might take it for something else or just not notice it.

Anyway, anyone else experience this? I can possibly get a video if no one's seen this before.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Typical squabbling.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weird, I've had Angels on and off for years and none never did that...
How do I sex them, when are they full grown? Mine still have a bit to go.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Sure fire way to sex them is wait for a pairing.
The tube shape is the best way to tell once dropped.
I have females with very large forehead humps which is nothing but a fatty build up that I now ignore.
Bunt round tubes (most are a bit larger and easy to see) are female and short pointed tubes are males.
And obviously the females deposit the eggs.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
haha! that stuff happens all the time.
wait untill the lip locking tug of war starts.
Yep. I had 7 beautiful angels that are the blue color with Lon veil fins that grew up together in a 75g. About a year ago I had to remove two and put them in a 46. Just recently I had to remove the other 3 from the 75g as the biggest male and female pair were real close to killing the others.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If they pair off, remove the odd guy out.
I made the mistake of not doing that, so the subdominant male angel decided to kill the dominant male angel by ripping his eye out and leaving him in the corner to die while taking the female away with him...........

just sayin'

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yeah they can be vicious. I had a male in my 56g tank that thought he was the man. He best up every other fish in there. It took me a couple days to figure out the culprit. Every time I walk in the room my angels come to the top and stare at me like little puppies. I've raised them from wigglers so they are used to me touching them and feeding them. When I finally figured out it was him I put him in my 75g with my silver dollars and tiger barbs. Guess who suddenly became the friendliest fish ever? Now he resides happily in that tank. He can still see his buddies across the room and wave hi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.