The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
One of my Glotetras isn't doing too good right now. I found it stuck in a plant. Upon closer inspection I realized it was really thin and has torn fins. It also had a nice thin string of poop. Really thin. Like, the thickness of its fins thin.

So, I'm fairly sure that I've run into internal parasites. Again. I've recently treated another tank for them and I think it worked.

But, I'm looking for the better option for treating:
Metroplex or prazipro.

I'm leaning towards the prazipro right now, but I want to be sure. I'm going to do a large water change tomorrow before treating so I have a while to decide. I have both, and I used both before, I'm just not sure which is better. :smile2:

Also: Since this is the second tank with internal parasites and both of the mainly affected species were bought at a petsmart store should I start including the internal parasite medication in my quarantine as well? The only thing I treat for is ick...

I put it in a wine glass and got a good light so I could get a picture for you. As you can see the top of the head is really flat. It should be rounded. The fins are a mess, but I don't see any sign of fin rot. The water is good. Ammonia and nitrite at zero. Nitrate stays under 30. Fed once a day (before I noticed this) and now twice a day. I'm feeding this tetra seperate to make sure it gets food. It ate the first few days but this morning it just didn't seem as interested in the food.

This is where I found the fish just a few minutes ago:

That yellow line in the blue plant that you can barely see is the fish in question. :frown2:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just get levamisol, don't beat around the bush.
I have dosed about 200 fish so far this week, and not a single death.
The poop collecting on the bottom is now thick and brown and healthy looking.
Didn't know my angelfishes can poop that big.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard of levimisol before. And prazipro seems to have worked for my other fish, although I'm not 100% sure that it's what did it. I had used both metroplex and prazipro on them (different times, of course)...

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If this fish has been in a tank with some kind of treatment, then I think you need to target some other internal parasite. No one product will kill all internal parasites, so check which parasites are controlled with the product you used, and which others are there that your product did not target. Then get medicine that works against those types of worms.

Levamisole has been used for farm animals for many years. Here is more info. I have treated baby Clown Loaches (barely over 1" long).

Levamisole Hydrochloride ? Loaches Online

Here is a source for levamisole and flubendazole:
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.