The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
So I have a heavily planted tank with 2 armoured shrimp, a tonne of snails, black widows, rummy nose tetras and sword tails. I also have a load of Cory's.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a treatment for internal parasites as my sword tails seem to have them? But that would be safe for all the inhabitants?
I could set up a tank to treat the sword tails, but was worried the parasites could be living in the gravel?
Symptoms for the sword tail is mostly weight loss, but still seems to be eating, but no other external symptoms.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Hi everyone.
So I have a heavily planted tank with 2 armoured shrimp, a tonne of snails, black widows, rummy nose tetras and sword tails. I also have a load of Cory's.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a treatment for internal parasites as my sword tails seem to have them? But that would be safe for all the inhabitants?
I could set up a tank to treat the sword tails, but was worried the parasites could be living in the gravel?
Symptoms for the sword tail is mostly weight loss, but still seems to be eating, but no other external symptoms.
If eating and experiencing weight loss most likely roundworms. I would try deworming with praziquantel. This is the active ingredient in Hikari Prazipro or General Cure by API. General Cure also contains metronidazole which treats flagelates (HHLE.) If decide to use General Cure, the best way to dose is not in water column, but in food with a binder so meds adhere to food long enough for fish to eat. Can use a food grade gelatin like Knox or Seachem has a product called Focus that does the trick as well.
Both Praziquantel and metronidazole are safe to use with snails and shrimp.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
here are three links: hollow belly, capillaria, and camallanus. there is overlap among the 3 articles. main point is to feed the medication and not merely add it to the aquarium.
I dont see any signs of capillaria or camallanus, do you? In that case, neither active ingredients praziquantel or metronidazole would take care of it-- in water column or fed.

here are three links: hollow belly, capillaria, and camallanus. there is overlap among the 3 articles. main point is to feed the medication and not merely add it to the aquarium.

the capillaria and camallanus posts state that praziquantel is not effective for roundworm treatment:

Treatments for Worms in the Aquarium
Yes, I see what you are saying.
Internal flatworms are the parasite that is most indicated by the information given by OP. Praziquantel is the targeted treatment-- doesn't need to be ingested by fish to be at effective. 1 treatment dosed in water column is all that is required.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the op only mentioned weight loss, true. but sometimes camallanus worms are not visible, as the article pointed out. weight loss also associated with capallaria.

with respect to your post #5, the author is quite vehement in saying most medicines must be fed: fw fish do not drink the water, molecules are too big to be absorbed by gills, and most meds are not soluble in water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

the capillaria and camallanus posts state that praziquantel is not effective for roundworm treatment:

Will this also treat any parasites that are in the gravel etc?

·
Registered
239 Posts
no. internal parasite medications cause the parasite to lose their grip on their host. so they fall out (camallanus) or are shat out (capillaria), their eggs/larvae able to reinfect. probably best to treat/feed in separate bare bottomed tank, siphon the worms and fecal matter a day after they eat. need to treat multiple times. read up on it in the articles i linked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no. internal parasite medications cause the parasite to lose their grip on their host. so they fall out (camallanus) or are shat out (capillaria), their eggs/larvae able to reinfect. probably best to treat/feed in separate bare bottomed tank, siphon the worms and fecal matter a day after they eat. need to treat multiple times. read up on it in the articles i linked.

Thank you. This is my tank to its going to be fun trying to clean all the gravel etc. Lol.

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
I honest to god think there are so many variations of internal parasites we dont know about - I have used "COOL MED Medicated Brine Shrimp Flake with 1% Metronidazole" by brine shrimp direct that had probably a 50-60% success rate before. I think there are many factors including how far along the issue is or is there resistance / proper proportion and whatever else applies. Ever since I try to be proactive with it and hope to see higher success aka - i have it now and if i see any signs ill feed this flake for a couple of days and then stop - dont want them to overdose on it. It was fine with the shrimp, corys, snails etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yes, it can be difficult determining what parasite is causing symptoms. microscopic examination of feces can identify capillaria from hexamita--they both show same symptoms. but hexamita are flagellates, not nematodes. metronidazole is effective against flagellates but not nematodes.

i lost several fish (mainly endler's) due to what i now know is capallaria. i was trying to treat them with metro. bought levamisole and haven't had problems since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honest to god think there are so many variations of internal parasites we dont know about - I have used "COOL MED Medicated Brine Shrimp Flake with 1% Metronidazole" by brine shrimp direct that had probably a 50-60% success rate before. I think there are many factors including how far along the issue is or is there resistance / proper proportion and whatever else applies. Ever since I try to be proactive with it and hope to see higher success aka - i have it now and if i see any signs ill feed this flake for a couple of days and then stop - dont want them to overdose on it. It was fine with the shrimp, corys, snails etc.
Thanks. I'm not sure I can totally fix the issue cause of the amount of plants and snails etc so I'm gonna do my best and see how it goes. 🙂

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
the op only mentioned weight loss, true. but sometimes camallanus worms are not visible, as the article pointed out. weight loss also associated with capallaria.

with respect to your post #5, the author is quite vehement in saying most medicines must be fed: fw fish do not drink the water, molecules are too big to be absorbed by gills, and most meds are not soluble in water.
When you help someone with an issue on a forum like this the point is to really try to help them. Do you have a treatment protocol for the OP? I do. Start with a dewormer for flatworms-- Prazi-pro ( in water column). It is the most non-invasive, effective treatments for flatworms. So I accidently called it a nematode. Thank you for correcting me on the nomenclature. But, my tretament recommendation still stands.
This one author may be vehement of this need to feed praziquantel, but I have had 30 years of experience dosing in water column for flatworms and it does, in fact, absorb to treat this condition.
Flatworms is the most common aquatic internal parasite of tropical aquarium fish. It is also the easiest to treat. In leiu of a microscope and specialized diagnostic laboratory equipment, you examine symptoms and determine from the symptoms the most likely cause and LEAST harmful chemical treatment. That would be praziquantel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ok. so that's your treatment for flatworms. my treatment for capillaria is a 24-hr bath at 2ppm of levamisole. followed up with same treatment after 2 weeks followed by another after a further 2 weeks.

still doesn't answer the op's question. you nor i know what is really afflicting the swordtails. my guess is capallaria yours is flatworms. capillaria is very common in livebearers. agree to disagree?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
ok. so that's your treatment for flatworms. my treatment for capillaria is a 24-hr bath at 2ppm of levamisole. followed up with same treatment after 2 weeks followed by another after a further 2 weeks.

still doesn't answer the op's question. you nor i know what is really afflicting the swordtails. my guess is capallaria yours is flatworms. capillaria is very common in livebearers. agree to disagree?
The point here is to help the OP. The OP knows when they post here that we are giving our best guess based on symptoms given. They come here knowing that this type of forum is imperfect. It is your job to give your best help/estimate.
You have given your best help with a possible cause and treatment.
Now let the OP take what they have been given to make up there own mind with information given. What I think is irrelevant at this point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.