The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im setting up my first hightech tank. a 150G with a sump.. The tank is bottom drilled with 3 standpipes..

Im learning by failing a lot lately hence i seek advice from the experienced.

I havent got any overflow in the tank just two durso drains where one is for normal drainage and one for emergencies..

Taking co2 into the equation.. is it wise to add an internal overflowbox ? to separate the pipes from the rest of the tank.. for the sake of security that is.. Will it kill alot of co2?

when i filled that 150G i suddenly started staring at them pipes thinking what if..

( fun fact: what if said the man and stared at the standpipes.. little did he know that an external canister filter was slowly leaking at the floor killing both the newly renovated floor and his newly aquired tank furniture)

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Well, until you fix the leak...

I would use a box around the pipes. This is a way of getting a larger grid around them so that there is less chance of them getting stopped or slowed because of a leaf or something.

In the sump, I would simply use a sheet of plastic over the sump and tape it into place (duct tape). This allows you to access it, yet it will not off gas much CO2. This is a trick that I learned from Tom Barr.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts