The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to plant my old 2.5 gallon tank I had from when I was a kid. It used to house my Betta until it jumped. I started with a substrate of 50/50 flourite and gravel. Lighting comes from a 23w CF bulb in a desk lamp. The filter is a cheap HOB I piked up from PetCo. I have a DIY CO2 setup running out of a Gatorade bottle, right now it goes through an airstone, but I have a diffuser on the way, I figure some CO2 is better than none right now. I'm dosing 8/10ml of Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement I have it diluted in water so I dose 1oz of the mixture every other day so it's easier to measure.
Flora:
-Anacharis
-Java Moss
-Java fern
-Pygmy chain-sword
- HC
Fauna
-5 unknown shrimp ( any help)

As of know I only have the hard scape and a few plants in.

The Tank

Shrimp and Java fern

Shrimp on drift wood

Shrimp eating it's molted shell

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey! is that a critter keeper? it looks like it!
I have no Idea, it's an aquarium I got from walmart when I was 10 or so. It came with colorful gavel, some fake plants, and a air pump filter thing.

its mineral deposits. vinegar will dissolve taht easily tho i wouldnt get that in your tank. u'll have to wait till u empty it out.
It looks like the shrimp are eating it, I assume to get calcium and such.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Oh i see.
Good old texas water huh! causes lime buildup like crazy, and yea, my shrimp and crays will pick at limed of stuff i think to get calcium.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have some good news and some bad news. During the past week two of my shrimp have died, but the others seem to be very healthy and active. Also I have seen more baby shrimp; I have counted at least 3 of them. All of the plants are doing great, withing in about 2 hours of the lights coming on there are already bubbles forming on the java fern's leaves, and in the past week the anacharis has grown over double it's original height.:icon_eek:. The stems sarted out 3-4in now they are 7-8in at least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.