The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to my 10g journal. After my 75g mbuna tank journal, I felt I had something to live up to in new tank journals. Here we go...

MultipleTankSyndrome has set in. Badly. I hope it does not progress any further. My marriage may be at stake.

This tank is a philosophical statement.
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of planted tank people take themselves waaaay to seriously (myself included). If you know anything about major trends in art, you'll know that representational art has been dead for, oh, about 100 years. Aquascaping is (mostly) a representational art; S.Chong on this site is a good example of the this representationalism. This might not apply to Dutch-style tanks, as they are more botanical gardens than trying to recreate natural spaces. I hope that this tank meets the high standards of aquascapers, yet at the same time, is a satire of the artform. Perhaps somewhat like some of Oliver Knott's stuff, such as this gem:

This tank is representational, but not of any natural place here on planet earth. It is a representation of Planet Crypto (Planted Crypto). The planet is very craggy with lots of rocks and rubble. The plant lacks great biological diversity. The only known local plant species are: Cryptocoryne affinis,Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko',Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya',Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze', Potamogeton gayi, Monosolenium tenerum 'Pellia', Marimo balls, and Taxiphyllum barbieri ‘Java Moss’. The planet's inhabitants are the herbivorous 1 otto cat, 1 olive nerite snail, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco. The planet's intelligent life is 8 ghost shrimp, with sophisticated exoskeletal armor, prepared to defend themselves against what have you. Recently, 3 dwarf puffers were traveling near Planet Crypto and experienced technical difficulties with their spacecraft. They had to crash land and are now in an Intergalactic Battle of Epic Proportions on Planet Crypto against the might ghost shrimp. They are armed to teeth (and only with teeth) and protected by bubble suits. It is anyone's guess who will win. All that is known is that it is to the death. There is rumor of a battalion of Red Cherry Shrimp reinforcements being deployed to the area should the Puffers win the initial battle.

View of Planet Crypto's Sun:

The terrain of Planet Crypto:

The Plant Life

A view of the planet from space:

A detailed view of the planet:

Specs:
10g Generic Tank.
20g Aquaclear Filter.
50w Generic Heater.
Flourite Substrate.
Limestone Rocks. Driftwood. Small Spacecraft I found on the street.
$8.50 WalMart 34w 30" shoplight.

I had everything lying around except the light. Total project cost: $9.00 with tax. :thumbsup:

Grow out will be slow due to low light. But that is what I want. A low tech, low maintenance crypt tank sitting in the kitchen. Light cycle is at night, it is our kitchen's night light.

Updates Monthly

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It would be cool if you can have a space ship where it's bouyant enough to hover in the water.. but not float to the top.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe I'll try that when the RCS enforcements deploy. I can probably pick a lil ship up at goodwill for cheap.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
pfffft . . . gem he says lol

I'll be watching dude, because this is really amusing. I didn't know aquascaping could be amusing.

The only thing I'd mention though is-- I'd disagree about too many aquascapers taking themselves too seriously-- I don't even know many who are serious. As for "representational art being dead," the modern art world can take its angst and bull and #$^%#%$&@^@%-- my favorite artists (outside aquascaping) are still nature photographers and landscape painters.

·
Registered
974 Posts
lol, I love it! May I suggest an x-wing instead of the current spaceship? You can then add the mini-action figures of Luke Skywalker and Yoda.

·
Registered
134 Posts
May the Excel be with you young one. You must go to the Habogad system. There you will learn from Adoy. Plant cyrpto will be targeted by the Darth BBA. Beware the Algi Cide. Use what you have learned, save you it can. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to the Algi Cide.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have some scorched fighter pilots who survived my son blowing up his model airplane squadron this last 4th of July. PM me if you need them. Great fun here!

PS. I like the Smoky Mtn. hardscape!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Although most are against fake stuff, i gotta admit, those look cool, i think a better looking craft would be more realistic, that one looks like a 89cent toy. you could try a snap together model.

great journal so far dude.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Shame on you! :angryfire You're making me want to go add a "nightlight" to my kitchen, too!!!!:cool: Hmmmm.....oh, oh-oh!

Looking forward to seeing this grow in.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lol, it's very unique, and dwarf puffers with ghost shrimp are always a fun mixture, hehe. I look forward to updates on the ongoing war.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey, this is supposed to be planet crytpo, not star wars.
I think a "different" non SW looking ship would be cool.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This morning, I awoke to a 1/3 of a ghost shrimp, so it appears the dwarf puffers are ahead. EscarNo (Dwarf puffer #1) was looking awfully guilty, and fat. Down to seven ghosts, but there are always more of the men in white.

thanks for all the comments, compliments etc. this wasn't explicitly star wars, but you can take it that way if you like. Planet Crypto isn't Tatoine, or anywhere else for that matter, except in my kitchen.

If anyone has any 'better' spacecraft or whatever that fits the theme/scale and wants to donate them to this ever-so-noble cause, drop me a PM.

Steven: I take it you reaction proved my point, quote "#$^%#%$&@^@%--"
Unirdna: You are taking yourself too seriously again ;)
Rod Hay: Just go ahead and install the "nightlight." It's for her own good :)

Here are some pics of the tank inhabitants (now that you are thinking star wars):

Ghost Shrimp:

Red Cherry Shrimp:

Dwarf Puffers:

Albino Bristlenose Pleco:

Otto Cats:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If someone has a little X-Wing or whatever, that would be rad to suspend with like fishing wire or something.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Steven: I take it you reaction proved my point, quote "#$^%#%$&@^@%--"
Yup. I'm a no-talent, no-creativity, die-hard representationalist-- and I'm not going to change or deny it. :D

Good luck with your tank dude. I expect to see it in the 2007 AGA and no backing out. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts