The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
honestly, i don't think you'd get the metal halide effect. it would produce a flickering affect though.

dollface, awesome avatar!
I think it would depend on your surface current, if you have a calm surface you may get a similar effect to MH, but if you have a turbulant surface, it could end up like ripples x2 which might be kind of trippy.

I really am interested to see how this looks over a tank though, and usually I dislike moonlighting.

Haha, thanks. Muramasa ftw.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Those "liquid" lights like that actually have more in common with the old plasma globes than with regular fluorescent or cold cathode lights. The tubes are usually filled with an argon/xenon mixture and are driven with a high-frequency high-voltage power supply. The result is a plasma streamer that goes from one end of the tube to the other, usually along the tubes surface. The streamer itself will be white, but they can be colored by coating the tube with a phosphor.

The effect over water would probably be pretty interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.