31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 48" LED light from Sams's $35
It fit my 55 gallon grow out tank perfectly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Looks good. Is the light coverage over the whole tank? It looks like it. I may have to replace my 48" shop lights. Whats your initial impression?

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Hi All,

I believe that is the Lights of America LED Shoplight; Costco offers a similar shoplight by Feit that is cool white and 38 watts with 3700 lumen. Here is a video done by a GSAS member and LFS shopowner showing results for the Feit model and comparing it to Finnex Planted + and Finnex Stingray. FYI the Feit model provided PAR=27 @19" depth with some tannins in the water. The Planted + delivered PAR=20 @19" depth and the Finnex Stingray delivered PAR=10 @19" depth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I-fUrI5mwo

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes very similar
Got it at Sams's club
I find it to be very crisp white
Compared to my grobeams
Not what I would choose for a display tank
But great utility
And as the video says I would use a take cover for safety

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Flip..

slightly adjusted for "eyeball" 4300k LED shop light.
turface substrate and some algae/diatoms throwing it "bit" into more yellow territory.

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
5400 lumens vs 4500 lumens.. ;)

Pretty close to equal considering all factors..
But the led would direct all of its light down where the tube goes everywhere. I wonder if taking reflectivity into account if the tubes have enough loss to where the led provides higher par at the substrate?.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
But the led would direct all of its light down where the tube goes everywhere. I wonder if taking reflectivity into account if the tubes have enough loss to where the led provides higher par at the substrate?.
some studies have shown that, on a watt/watt basis and even considering t5's can produce 100 lumens per watt when most older LED's were around 50ish the LED still outperformed t5's on a 2:1 basis. Much due to exactly what you deduced.
Which was why I 'conservatively" said they were equal-ish.. Err on the low side so to speak.
One can deal w/ more light easier than less..
That 20% less lumens of the LED is nothing really..
I just didn't want to go so far as say the light is actually say 40% stronger yet 20% less lumens..;)

Reactions: thedood
1 - 15 of 15 Posts