The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through one of my bonsai forums and found this rather interesting thread.

Ed Merc said:
I was reading another post here where the discussion brought about the point of Japanese trees being passed on from generation to generation, each dedicating part of their life to the preservation of those trees.

It was said that we do not have that generational bonsai culture here in the West. I hope that with my children that will not be true, but let's assume that it will be. What will happen to my trees?

Not to long ago, a senior member of our bonsai club passed away. She left all her trees to the club to be auctioned to the members so that they may live on. I have one of those trees.

That seems like a pretty good alternative to me. After all, it's my club mates that helped me bring my trees along. Seems only right that they should keep them going once I'm gone.

http://www.bonsaisite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19781
With that being said, someone else replied to the post:

licht said:
I'm going to have my ashes (well, maybe not all of it) buried in my favorite plant's pot so that I am assimilated into the tree, and my descendants will be obligated to take care of it until the end of time. Yay for cultures that revere their ancestors.

I'm being serious by the way.

http://www.bonsaisite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19781
I'm going to have to say this is a rather interesting idea because what better to remember you by, other than being assimilated into your final project? And agreeing with licht there, I'm from a culture that honors their ancestors so it seems like a plausible alternative. Don't think we can do that with planted tanks thought, any thoughts?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Sounds interesting, bet I could grow a mean field of BBA. Thinking about it though it might be WBA. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It would make a fantastic source of carbon for the substrate! Better than leonardite! Actually, the more I think about it, I'd prefer to be put in a media bag and placed in a canister filter. That way the entire water column would be infused with me, plus I'd be providing carbon filtration! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
On a more serious note...

I think the two are profoundly different. The great bonsai trees are hundreds of years old and have had many caretakers over the ages. With those I could see it being a reasonable choice.

When you try to draw the line to planted fish tanks on the other hand, the growth rate is too high and most of us don't keep one scape for more than a year (if that) so all your ashes being assimilated into the plants would probably be gone within a year...

So I would consider the bonsai tree thing if that was my hobby, but if not I'd steer clear of planted tanks.

You think flourite makes the water dirty?!??!! (lol)
-Andrew

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Cremains (ashes is dated terminology) are what is left after cremation.

After the process of cremation, all that is left of the body are bits of bone fragments. Those bone fragments are then processed through a grinder. What is left is a large amount of roughly ground bits of bone, and a small amount of fine bone particulate. The ratio of coarse to fine can depend on the crematory and processing equipment. There are no ashes.

I believe the vast, vast majority of carbon is burnt off and exits the retort via exhaust. I would also imagine the vast majority of what might be viable for plant growth would be rendered fairly useless by the high temperatures used to cremate human remains.

There would certainly be calcium present to some extent, however I am not sure how useable it is as well after being super heated.

I can possible see coarse cremains (with a vermiculte/ lava-esque consistancy) being used as an inert bonsai growing media, but I can't see them providing more than that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.