The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone know how to achieve fluctuations like they did here? Lots of explanation about the hardscape, substrate, and plants, but not the water feature.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAh6r37r0s

Just as an initial point, I do see that he’s using pumps plumbed to a sump, I just don’t see how it all works together. In the journal the aquascaper talks about integrating solenoids but doesn’t explain how it all works esp automated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
He has two pumps in the tank, a canister filter for filtration, and a sump for water level. It looks like in the sump there's a pump that will push water into the tank. But there also looks to be a sort of check valve inline that controls water movement, to or from the tank. You could look into an automated check/ball valve, or do a more basic design with an overflow and a timer.

If you size the sump to hold all the extra water you could build an overflow that's set to your desired low waterline. Then either have the sump pump connected to a water level switch and/or a timer depending on what you want. Then it would just be a matter of sizing the overflow/pump to make the water level change in a controlled manner so that it's not a crazy fast change. Also you'd have to make sure your canister intake is always below the water line.

Basically, timer connected to pump/water level switch, 1) pump turns on with timer, starts filling display, 2) water reaches your high water level mark, 3) that triggers the WLS, pump turns off, 4) then whenever the water level falls below the high mark it will turn back on, repeat 2-4 until timer shuts off. Then just set the timer to do this at whatever intervals you want.

This would require the pump to be faster than the overflow, but neither fast enough to make a crazy fast change. So tank size, water volume, and water volume change would be the main factors in sizing.

Just an idea, I don't know japanese so this is what I literally just came up with. It would definitely require some playing around with, maybe some more equipment. Would definitely be cool though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks like a solenoid valve when turned on will allow water to siphon out into a sump through the pump. This has the advantage that if the siphon is broken, you can establish it by turning on the pump for a few seconds when the solenoid is switched on. Switch off the pump to drain the water. Switch the pump back to raise the water level.
The same pipe is used to siphon the water to the sump using gravity and to pump the water back into the tank.

This probably has a controller some where that is not shown which ideally will sense the water level in the tank and sump.

This can also be accomplished with two timers with out the controller. one to switch on the solenoid to allow water(to either drain or fill the tank) and an other to turn on the pump (to start the siphon and to pump the water back into the tank.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it. Yea the draining it down to the low level with an all glass tank with no overflow is more confusing to me than pumping the water back in from the sump to achieve the high level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.