The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we have filters and hence intakes but there is somthing basic i dont get. how does one insure that no really tiny creatures get sucked into the intake and at the same time prevent the thing from clogging with say..plants.

after some thought i decided the best way would be provide a really long and spacious fine filter before the intake. but does anyone actually do this?

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
A cleaning routine prevents the filter from completely clogging. The most effective method of stopping larger items (plant, animal, waste, etc.) is to place a sponge over the intake. However, they also present a significant restriction to flow.

I run normal strainers in all of my tanks (except shrimp tanks), and have run into no problems. I clean my canisters and HOB filters every 3 months. Usually just a quick rinse and replace the polishing pads if necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cooool thanks confirmed...never seen a sponge prefilter in action.

yep one time i cleaned my 2217 out and found dozens of baby shrimp at the bottom. i wasnt happy.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I always find shrimp and a few platy fry in the cans. I think the shrimp like it in there. If only 1 in 100 platy fry make it to adulthood in my tank it would be just about perfect as far as I'm concerned. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
On the subject of sponge pre-filters ;

How often do you clean the pre-filter to avoid slowing down flow?

I have a pre filter on both of my 10 gallon tanks with HOB filters and the flow on one of them slowed drastically over the past couple of days and I believe that is what has led to a sick Betta in one of the tanks.

The sponge didnt 'look' bad, but when I took it off of the intake tube and rinsed it out, all kinds of crap came out of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ideally of course wed like the fry/shrimp to live out some sorta existence in the tank if only to provide some natural food to the others.

wed also ideally like some of the stuff that clogs prefilters through to the canister. i guess thats askin too much though.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I think it's one of those "lesser of two evils" kind of things. You need to choose: do you want baby shrimp not to get sucked up into the filter, which will require you to remove and clean the prefilter once or twice a week? Or do you want to eliminate the extra hassle of removing and cleaning a prefilter, which will allow many of the shrimplets to get sucked up into the filter?

Choices, choices, choices...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah. twice a week is too much hassle. once a month sounds more like it. im often out of town.

gonna have to make a reeeeelly long prefilter it seems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
a slow down of flow isn't the worst thing to happen.
I give mine a once a week over and it is better than tearing a canister apart sooner.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
For my shrimp only tanks I use sponges and have extra. Dirty one off and clean one on so it's all done with hands in the tank one time. My tank at home has a surface skimmer so sponging the bottom intake is fruitless.

SteveU

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for experiences guys. very helpful.

surface skimmer..that sounds interesting and useful. googling now :icon_bigg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts