The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does regular homeowners insurance cover damages by a broken tank? I thought I read a post about someone that had a certain type of insurance to cover it or I may have been up too late reading posts. I already searched the threads to no luck...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Flood insurance. Check with your insurer to be sure but it is not normally covered under renters/homeowners. It is considered a non natural flood disaster and usually is covered under flood insurance.

--Jimmy
Fully protected w/ 400 gallons in the house.:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
From what I understood about my renters insurance (not sure about the differation). Mine covers say, if an earthquake hits and the tank tips over, I'm covered. Any sort of disaster like that. I don't think that it covers faulty/old tanks. I too would be interested to hear what other home owners/renters policies cover.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I would ask your agent, I think it depends on the insurance company. If they say they do, have them show you in writing. Mine told me no coverage so all my tanks are on the first floor, i.e., leak upstairs = big mess = lots of money to fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it depends on the company. but most companies will ensure your equipment, but not your livestock.

I carry a 120K renters policy incase my tank cracks, since I am on the 2nd floor 200 gallons of salt water would do more damage to my downstairs neighbor than it would to me. :( (planted tank is in my wifes office.)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
SphericalCube said:
Flood insurance. Check with your insurer to be sure but it is not normally covered under renters/homeowners. It is considered a non natural flood disaster and usually is covered under flood insurance.

--Jimmy
Fully protected w/ 400 gallons in the house.:)
You're kidding. Flood insurance? How many people that don't have to for mortgage purposes actually carry it? We should be (we live on a flood plain 20 feet from a creek) but we like to live dangerously, ahahaha :icon_roll and the way the federal flood maps came in when we financed showed this property as a little island in a sea of blue. Go figger.

It's a good point though, I've just been assuming homeowner's would take care of it if anything happened (like an overflowing tub or something.) Better ask and make sure.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RamPuppy said:
it depends on the company. but most companies will ensure your equipment, but not your livestock.

I carry a 120K renters policy incase my tank cracks, since I am on the 2nd floor 200 gallons of salt water would do more damage to my downstairs neighbor than it would to me. :( (planted tank is in my wifes office.)
So what is it that you have then? Cause I asked my insurance and they kinda laughed about it and said there was no way to insure a fish tank from breaking

·
Registered
12 Posts
my recent experience

I live on a hill far from any flood plain, and I do not carry flood insurance.

I never told my agent about my aquariums and so there was no special coverage in my policy. I am with State Farm.

My 100g acrylic cracked and spilled 50+ gallons into my carpet. They paid for the water extraction and drying, they paid to replace the sub-floor plywood (it was very old paper-lined plywod and so had to be replaced) and they paid for 85 sq yds of new carpet. Total payoff was close to $6000,a nd I had the money in 2 weeks. It was coverd under "miscellaneous non-plumbing water damage" or something like that. the only thing they wouldn't pay for was to replace the tank :(

They paid for the carpet because the water was causing it to de-laminate from the backing (it was pretty old). However the water extraction guys said the insurance companies will often pay for carpet because of the amount of bacteria present in aquarium water, and there is no way to remove it from the carpet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Read your policy carefully. If it does not fall under any of the exceptions listed then it should be covered. Don't take your agent's word for it and don't take "it's not covered" for an answer should you have to make a claim. If the insurance company denies the claim and can't point to clear language in the policy such as "leaks from fish tanks not a covered event" take the policy to an attorney and ask her or his opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just looked at the geico site. (the little green guy) I read a little about renters insurance and this is a quaote from their website.

What does Renter’s Insurance cover?
Renter’s policies provide "named peril" coverage, meaning the policy states specifically what you are insured against.

Some of the named perils are:

* Fire or Lightning
* Windstorm
* Smoke
* Vandalism or Malicious Mischief
* Theft
* Accidental Discharge of Water

I suppose that maybe Accidental discharge of water may be what your looking for.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts