The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shipping my livestock with leftover packaging supplies from other purchases (foam and Styrofoam peanuts) as insulation. I'm almost out, so I wanted some suggestions.

I have been searching around for answers, but I wanted to see what other members use and where they get it from.

I've read that people use Styrofoam boards or shredded paper. I can't seem to find Styrofoam anywhere besides Michaels craft store, but its like $10 for a board that can only insulate one box. Also is the shredded paper really enough?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Do you know anyone who works in a lab or a hospital?

Almost all the stuff we get shipped (standards, drugs, samples, etc.) are either refrigerated or frozen, and come in those styrofoam boxes, and almost all of them just get thrown out in the trash as soon as they are unpacked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I stopped by Lowes on the way home from school. I didn't see the styrofoam boards, but I did buy some of that blow in insulation.

More suggestions won't hurt for future reference though, keep them coming!

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
At first thought it sounds totally disgusting but I got a shipment that made a believer out of me! Would you even want to think of using fiberglass insulation ? I said , No way. Then I got one and I love it. It is totally different than the scratchy disaster I had in mind. Almost white and soft as a cloud, it seemed like a great way to both insulate and cushion the fish. Might do some looking at new forms of this stuff? Cuts, packs and conforms to things in ways that lots of stuff will not. And It is NOT scratchey, itchy yuck! This was not a blow in but formed in a batt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts