The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solved :) but see last post please, new questions!!

Ok TOTAL newb at this stuff and haven't ever really messed with regulators ever.
Now of course I get the Rex regulator and I'm a little confused even with his instructions. A diagram would be very very helpful.

This is what I got, Regulator with Fabco needle valve and his ghetto bubble counter.
Now as far as installing this I kind of know what to do. First of course connect the regulator to the tank with the washer inside the nut. I supose the perma seal thing packaged with the fabco screws into the cylinder valve (inside threads of the valve)? And I still use the washer between the nut and valve?

So now after this is where I get confused (pretty early I know). There's a nipple at the bottom of the silver box attached to the selonoid. Run a hose to my fabco needle valve. I'm not really to sure on how exactly to operate this valve so any instructions on that would be great also. After that it goes to my bubble counter with a check valve on each side of the counter. I only recieved one check valve I believe that was packaged with the fabco( a nice metal one). Then one that was packaged with my Red Sea reactor ( a cheap plastic one), so I only have two total I think.
Not to sure how to hook up the counter...fill it with water or mineral water and thats it? Do I fill it ALL the way up?
This statement from Riggs instructions makes ZERO sense to me:
"The best way to fill the bubble counter is to attach both needle vavles and use the buble counter as a straw. Or use the included syringe" In which I don't see any "syringe" anywhere.
After the bubble counter I guess it goes into the tank to the reactor. I planned on having the check valve the reactor came with inside the tank about one inch from the reactor inlet. Then the next check valve between the fabco and bubble counter.

Hope this all makes sense and doesn't sound like a bunch of rubish. Just got this in my hands 5 minutes ago so :). Does anyone have a simple diagram of the install?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
First of course connect the regulator to the tank with the washer inside the nut. I supose the perma seal thing packaged with the fabco screws into the cylinder valve (inside threads of the valve)? And I still use the washer between the nut and valve?
You use either the nylon washer or the perma-seal. Choose one and you won't have to use the other. Nylon washers should be replaced everytime you refill the CO2 tank.

I'm not really to sure on how exactly to operate this valve so any instructions on that would be great also.
I believe you turn clockwise to tighten (restrict) CO2 flow, and turn counterclockwise to allow more flow.

After that it goes to my bubble counter with a check valve on each side of the counter. I only recieved one check valve I believe that was packaged with the fabco( a nice metal one). Then one that was packaged with my Red Sea reactor ( a cheap plastic one), so I only have two total I think.
Your placement of the check valves is good; one after the needle valve, but before the bubble counter, and another after the bubble counter.

Not to sure how to hook up the counter...fill it with water or mineral water and thats it? Do I fill it ALL the way up?
You can fill it with water, mineral oil, or glycerin. You do not need to fill it all the way to the top. The purpose of the bubble counter is simply to have some liquid for the CO2 to flow through so you can see at a glance how many bubbles you are injecting into your tank.

This statement from Riggs instructions makes ZERO sense to me:
"The best way to fill the bubble counter is to attach both needle vavles and use the buble counter as a straw. Or use the included syringe" In which I don't see any "syringe" anywhere.
It sounds like the "easiest" way to fill the bubble counter (rather than taking off the plastic caps, etc) is to attach the check valves, and then suck on one end to fill the counter with some water.

I planned on having the check valve the reactor came with inside the tank about one inch from the reactor inlet.
I would not recommend you put the check valve into your aquarium. Why would you want to do this? Put this check valve immediately after the bubble counter.

Then the next check valve between the fabco and bubble counter.
This is good.

Here is a plan courtesy of SPECIAL|PLANS over in the Victor regulator thread.

Note: Not all the parts are there (i.e. solenoid), but it should give you a good idea of the order of things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton!! I'm gonna go mess with it now that I have a clue on what I'm doing. Reason I mention putting the check valve right by the reactor was because when I ran it water gets forced out the inlet of the reactor. So I'm guessin what would come all the way up to the check valve in some cases which would be outside of the tank.
quote from Rex's instructions:
"Your check valve should be as close as possible to your diffusion method. When water backs up in teh Co2 line it can cause a low back pressure state and this can lead to a temporary higher bubble rate when the Co2 starts."
So kind of up in the air where I'll put it, but I am a little hesitant to put it UNDER water. Maybe I'll just have it right above the water line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok got a question on the Fabco needle valve. First I accidently put it on backwards so Co2 was shooting through the system like crazy. I detached and turned it around the right way and now it seems like it's just stuck shut. Kept turning the knob counter clockwise to no avail. Nothing is getting through. Checked everything and all seems fine, and I know it's the valve because it was flowing fine before turning it around the right way. Is the knob needing some adjustment? The thing is brand new so....anyways any tips?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts