The Planted Tank Forum banner

"Insomnia" - ADA 75H

15K views 66 replies 23 participants last post by  HBdirtbag 
#1 ·
I'm riddled with Insomnia, generally sleep about 4 hours a night, fine with me because I work from home and deal with international clients so I get at it about 4 am every day. Well, this also allows me to spend a lot of time cruising classifieds or online retailers and making ridiculous purchases...i've had random things show up at my house without much recollection of buying them (ex. brand new RC truck a few weeks ago, also have an old chopped model A door that sits on a wall outside ont he patio).

Well, I struck gold a few weeks back where I came across a guy selling a full ADA 75H setup. 75H, you may be asking yourself, wtf is that. Well it's been discontinued for years...some call it the "unicorn".

Let's just go through a little bit of what this ad included:

ADA 75H
ADA Stand (Although I suspect it may actually be DoAqua)
ADA Solar 1 and Stand
Eheim 2028
Milwak Reg
10lb CO2 Tank
Ada Lilly pipes
ADA Co2 Beattles
ADA Bubble Counter
ADA Check Valve (the one with this fancy ruby inside)
ADA Amazonia
ADA Powersand
Tons of extra Filter Media
Driftwood
Petrified Wood
and tons of other odds and ends....

The guy had ordered it all in 2008 and during the time it took to arrive they had bought a vacation home and realized maintaining a tank wasn't going to happen. So it has literally all sat unboxed since then.

As I handed him the $650 for it all, he proceeded to hand me his receipt for $3200 :confused1:

After figuring out where to set it up in the house, decided on putting it in my office with my 120P and 45P along with a mini. I'm probably going to tear down the 45P and the mini is currently being used to grow a bunch of buces that will most likely transfer into this new tank.

Currently, I'm debating on how to set it up, i've yet to find the perfect piece of driftwood...but also am thinking of going rock only. I've got some Seiryu stone from an old build I may use, or I may go new. I'm hoping to keep the tank full of buces and other slow growers as my 120P grows at a rate that has me trimming all week long and I can't handle that much on two tanks.

And so begins this journal. It'll be slow, i'm hoping to figure out my design by the end of the week and start filling next weekend. I've got a couple international trips coming up that will delay things a little bit....

I'm still like a little kid at a candy store, can't believe what I came up on. I most likely won't use most the ADA Co2 stuff as i like reactors, and have sold off a few other things that this buy will essentially make me money or have me breaking close to even.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Manzanita come up....

Let the hardscape planning begin

Found a guy in eBay and realized he was only about an hour away and asked if I could swing by. Total tweeker dude, was a riot. Knowing whomever throws the first number out is the one who usually loses told him I wanted the lot and to name his price. He came in much much under the number I had in my head, and I ended up giving him more then he wanted.
Wood Font Art Road surface Asphalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
"Insomnia" - ADA 75H

I have the old power sand and an old bag of aqua soil underneath. Laid a fresh bag of aquasoil on top :). The guys at Afa felt this would be good. They actually didn't see much wrong with using the old stuff. It definitely has a much lighter color compared to the new stuff on top.

I have another 9l bag of new soil I may add as well

#15 ·
So. Finally got around to moving forward on this. Goal is a semi low tech tank. I need something I’m not going to do 50% weekly water changes on this.

I’ll lightly dose. Keep light semi low and hook up co2.

I think I’m going to change the light. The beam patterns is big and the light gets hot which isn’t great as this is in my office next to my 120p/45p and a few small tanks.

Thinking the ai prime hd freshwater but it doesn’t appear to be available yet.

#20 ·
I think it's snake oil, i think there's something to be said for it though, but I won't keep using it. I pulled it off the other tank about a year ago.

Tank is filled with water now, has some plants in it. I decided to order the new AI Prime HD Freshwater light, just got released hoping I see it in the next 1-2 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.