The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my wife and I set up a terrarium in a 10 gallon tank using plants and lighting from The Indoor Sun in Seattle. They guy there really seemed to know what he was doing, and he said he'd been raising "carnis" for years.

However, the amount of light he recommended is HUGE. He told us we'd need a minimum of 40W (5000K), maximum of 80W, with 60W being ideal. We went with 1 30W and 1 50W, the screw-in type CF bulbs, and they're hanging over the tank inside metal reflectors.

Needless to say, it is BRIGHT. It's on a shelf under my 20L planted, and it far outshines it.

Does anyone know if we really need this much light? I would think since there's no water, you'd need LESS light, not more.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I would think that terrestrial plants would be used to more intense, brighter lighting, since it doesn't get filtered down from the water.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
Yesterday my wife and I set up a terrarium in a 10 gallon tank using plants and lighting from The Indoor Sun in Seattle. They guy there really seemed to know what he was doing, and he said he'd been raising "carnis" for years.

However, the amount of light he recommended is HUGE. He told us we'd need a minimum of 40W (5000K), maximum of 80W, with 60W being ideal. We went with 1 30W and 1 50W, the screw-in type CF bulbs, and they're hanging over the tank inside metal reflectors.

Needless to say, it is BRIGHT. It's on a shelf under my 20L planted, and it far outshines it.

Does anyone know if we really need this much light? I would think since there's no water, you'd need LESS light, not more.
members of the genus Sarracenia require strong full sun to grow, as well as many Drosera species commonly found in the US. do you know the scientific name or at least the common name of the plant you are referring to?

long and short answer tho is yes.. they needs LOTS of light, and will not grow nearly as nice indoors under fluorescents than under HID, or full sun.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
and if you are just using the screwin cf bulbs, its probably got even less of a chance to really thrive. the plants might grow, but the less healthy the plant, the less traps they make, and then the novelty of the plant is gone... give it a go, but id look into either taking the plant outdoors, or at the very least a very bright window sill...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know the species or common names, but they are genus Sarracenia and Drosera.

The guy there said he raises Sarracenia under flourescent light, and has for 3 years. He could just be a "good" salesman though...

The whole point of us having a terrarium was to have it indoors on our shelf, so before taking it outside, I'd find some more grateful plants that will appreciate the money I spend on them!

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
honestly, ive tried to do grow Sarracenia purpurea, Drosera angelica as well as rotundifolia under fluorescents with horrible luck. all my experience with native plants in those genera has been much more successful outdoors.

now, i do think there are Sarracenia and Darlingtonia hybrids that will tolerate much lower light levels, but they tend to stay fairly small and are much less interesting to look at, and thier "mouths" are not nearly as pronounced.

if you want to grow carnivorous plants indoors look at the Genus Dionaea...and find hybrids. they are much easier to grow, and stay a lot smaller.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What do you do with these plants? I ask because I've never had them and know squat about them.

Do you actually feed them live foods like ants, flies, Drosophila, or springtails?

Is your intention to create an aesthetically pleasing habitat of some sort to sit back and look at from the couch or is there some botanical/scientific interest?

-Curious George :smile:

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
the Sarracenia looks kinda small in that tank, and it will easily reach 24" if its growing well. that is the plant i think you will have the most trouble with, needs the most light.

the Drosera and the Dionea will do well though if you give them enough light and keep them moist and well ventilated, they also stay small too.

you don't really need to feed the traps yourself, they attract insects on thier own best, and you can prevent over feeding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.