The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to set my tank up (Freshwater Planted) and tested my water just to get baseline readings. Im in the country and on a well.
Straight from the tap. All measurements in PPM

GH - 0-25
KH - 300
PH - 8ish

From my RO
GH - 0-25
KH - 0-20
PH - 6.5-7ish

What all should I look at doing for my water to keep the fish and plants?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you already have access to RO water you can do anything you want, but how you treat your water is going to depend on your preferences. What sort of tank are you envisioning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im hoping for a freshwater planted, not a huge fish load, most likely some tetras and some shrimp

·
Registered
445 Posts
You should learn more about the water parameters of the specific livestock you want to keep. There are some things that like harder, more alkaline water and many others that want softer, more acidic water. Because you have access to different water from your tap or RO you can do either easily. Lots of hardier species would be fine with either, but you'll have to research. But here's some pointers:

- You're going to need to boost your GH to keep your plants happy - they need more calcium and magnesium than you have in either of your water sources. I aim for around 6 degrees, which is 107 ppm.
- Do not combine your tap water with a buffering substrate (i.e. aquasoil). Your tap water has high KH and the substrate will fight that and wear itself out quickly.
- Don't try to chase a specific pH parameter with additives. Stability is more important than a specific number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts