The Planted Tank Forum banner

Input needed

907 3
I'm wanting to do a 20 -30 gallon freshwater planted tank with fancy guppy's I would also like to add other fish

I'm debating between ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp I cant decide which one would be best I mainly like the cherry's for their color but I would like to know which one would be best and why.

Also can I put a freshwater puffer with them? Or is it true that they're chompers and will eat my fish?

Almost done...Does anyone know of any good looking lower light plants I don't have a lot of money so I'm going to do this any ideas?

Lastly does anyone know of any really cool exotic fish that would be compatible with the guppies????

Thanks - Ibinyth
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,315 Posts
On a small tank like that, it is probably hard to beat compact flourescent light bulbs in terms of expense.

Those clip-on shop light dome-reflector things they sell at Home Depot/Lowes (I think they are sometimes called brooder lights/lamps) seemed to work pretty well as reflectors when someone posted a comparison w/ PAR readings. plus, they are like 6-10 dollars.

If ghost shrimp are the same thing that I remember back in the 90's, I'd advise to go with the cherry shrimp. The ghost shrimp never lasted very long in any tanks I had set up, where as a lot of people seem to be able to keep a breeding population of cherry/etc. shrimp.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.