The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally got my 300w inline heater. im using it in conjunction with a eheim 2217. so i go to hook it up today to find out the ends on the heater are to big for me to get the tubing on and i would have to go with larger tubing to make it fit. Thats all fina and dandy except the next size up tubing will not work for my ehiem filter connections so im kinda stuck herw with what should i do? Use the bigger style tubing on the whole system and just use some hose clamps around the ehiem connections or get some reducers to reduce the sizes of the tubing so i can have the bigger tubing for the heater and then a reducer to make the tubing for the ehiem to work? What about lack of flow then or built up pressure due to going from a big to a smaller hose? Let me know what you guys think.

thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
If the Eheim is using the smaller hoses then bigger hoses shouldn't be a problem. Either way though, I don't think 1/2" to 5/8" hose is enough of a change to make a big difference.
Those Hydor inline heaters only have 5/8" on the 300W, the 200W comes in both sizes.

According to a quick search the 2217 uses both sizes, the larger on the intake and the smaller on the output. If that is the case, you could put the heater on the input if you didn't want to change hose sizes. Normally you don't want to add obstructions to the inlet line, but AFAIK (my hydor heater should be in a fex-ex package at my house today) they don't have anything in them to obstruct the flow so it shouldn't be a problem putting it on the inlet line instead.

Otherwise, I would just go with a size changing adapter just after the filter and use the larger hose after that. Increasing hose diameter won't have much of an effect on how much water is flowing, though it will decrease the speed at which it exits the hose, but probably not all that much.

·
Registered
390 Posts
+1

That's exactly what I was going to post. :)

+1 to this as well, took me a little longer because I decided to be an idiot and try it with cold tubing first.. but eventually it got on there, works like a charm =D i love my hydor

·
Registered
390 Posts
with enough elbow youll get it on there, i did. the only thing i don't like and didn't anticipate with this heater is the clicking noise it makes when turning on and off.
you know, everyone talks about the clicking and that it bothers them. i must be the only one that it doesn't, my tank is 3 feet away from my side of the bed.. i hear it every once in awhile but to me it's not really noticeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
problem is i want to use it on my return hose and my return hose is smaller than 1/2 ". so i assume i have to get a down size coupler. or is that going to be to much of a downsize and the heater wont have sufficient flow then?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The flow will be just fine on the output side of the 2217. Just do what Chasintrades suggested in post #5.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tubing can be starched quite a bit. The best method I have found is to boil some water and put the end of the tubing in it for a minute. Give it a try and you will see what I mean. You really shouldn’t have much of a problem unless the barb is quite a bit larger than the tubing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.