The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 5 months ago I received a shipment of fish from Live Aquaria. I put the fish in a 10 gallon tank for observation and it was hooked up to a canister filter with an inline heater. I poured some of the bag water into the tank with the fish but I wasn't really sure if there was copper in it.

This fish never ended up never getting ich or anything so after the QT I put him in my display and tore down the hospital tank. My problem is now I am setting up my freshwater tank again and I'm looking to get shrimp.

Can I clean this heater somehow or am I being too nervous since I'm not even sure there was any copper in the bag of water the fish came in? Should I just play it safe and buy a new one?

EDIT
I just realized I put this in tank journals...Can a Mod please move this!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Was the bag water colored (blue or green)? If not, then I highly doubt there was any copper.

They could have not gotten ich, because they simply weren't exposed to ich-contaminated water. They don't need copper to not get ich.

If there was copper, the whole tank would have traces of copper and not just the heater, so the everything should be cleaned. But again, I highly doubt there was any copper, so no need to worry. But to be on the safe side, you can just buy a couple or so shrimp and add them to the tank and see how they do. Or you could sterilize the whole tank. But I would try "tester" shrimp first as I think copper was unlikely and sterilizing wouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope it wasn't any strange color. I would only be reusing the inline heater. Neither the tank, the heater or the canister were used for QT before but I was in a pinch so I set up a quick and dirty QT with what I had lying around.

I feel much better now about the heater thank you for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.