The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hydor Inline 200W. Eheim 2217. Question about the placement of the heater on the inflow.

Filter -> Elbow -> Short tube -> Tap+Tap -> Tube -> Heater -> Tube -> Spraybar

- or -

Filter -> Elbow -> Short tube -> Heater -> Tube -> Tap+Tap -> Tube -> Spraybar

Filter before the taps or after?

I've gone back and forth on this... not sure what best practice is. I'm thinking nothing between the heater outflow and the tank is best. But I can see having the taps between heater outflow and spraybar, too.

Thanks!

-Ken

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outflow of filter = inflow of tank

Most put their inline heaters on the outflow. It's also a good practice to put taps on both sides of the unit in case it fails or something.
I have it on the way out of the filter.

I presume that's what you're saying. Heating the water on the way out of the filter, not on the way into the filter.

Good idea - tap on each side.

Option "C"

:)

Thanks

- Ken

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yeah I have mine on the eheim outflow as well. I had it there for 3 years. When I tore the other tank down I looked inside and it wasnt even that dirty.

I have it coming into the reactor via a few 45 degree to eliminate sharp 90 degree turns. There is a ball valve there to make the water go to the UV setup. There is a valve bypass so that when I do want to use my UV it will go through it at a much slower speed cause of all the 90 degree turns (some things that you would want for a uv setup). There is another valve off to the right of the reactor and that helps me prime the system and get the air out. THen it goes through the reactor and a tube under the stand connects the bottom of the reactor to under the heater. The reason I used a tube was to limit the amount of 90 degree turns. It worked out great. After the heater it goes up to the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.