The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

While I'm waiting on my UNS 120P to ship I am working on the other details for how this tank is going to be setup. This tank is in my living room and aesthetics are paramount. Thus the only things going into the tank will be stainless steel lily pipes. I do however need to think about my dosing. I already own a dosing system and the salts necessary to do all my ferts.

Since I am using lily pipes this tank will be run by a canister filter (probably a fluval fx4), and I'd like to dose my ferts inline with the return feed. I thought about drilling directly into my rex griggs reactor but figured it would be easy enough to make a separate barbed pvc fitting that I can put either before or after the reactor and that way if I decide to change things up down the road I won't need to scrap my reactor (again).

This is what I'm thinking, I will have a length of pvc pipe with 2 or 3 holes drilled into it with each hole accepting a fitting from a dosing pump. One will be macros, one will be micros, and third will be excel (if I decide to dose excel). I will slightly over dilute my ferts to try and mitigate the risk of clogging and likely add excel to the micros to try and stop it from molding. I will use 'chemical resistant' check valves that use a stainless steel spring and ball bearing I am purchasing from mcmaster carr (they are rated for things like salt water, gasoline, etc). And... that's it.

I did some searches and found some people using similar systems in the past and the weak point seems to be the check valve with it clogging and then the ferts not pumping and eventually the fert hose bursting off draining ferts onto the floor.

What I want to know is 1) is there a better way to do this without draping the tubes over the tank rim, and 2) if anyone has used a system like this successfully for a couple of years or more? Thank you guys for any help!

·
Registered
115 Posts
What dosing pump are you going to use? I have use Bubble Magus dosing Pump for my reef tank for 10 years plus and the pump heads suck up the liquid and drop in to the sump. My concern is will it able to connect to your reactor, what about the water pressure that already in the reactor. If your idea work that would be something to hide all those tubes to the back of the tank

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What dosing pump are you going to use? I have use Bubble Magus dosing Pump for my reef tank for 10 years plus and the pump heads suck up the liquid and drop in to the sump. My concern is will it able to connect to your reactor, what about the water pressure that already in the reactor. If your idea work that would be something to hide all those tubes to the back of the tank
So my thoughts are to keep it all under the tank next to the canister filter. Basically the ferts would go from their container to the pump, from the pump through a check valve, and then into (for lack of a better word) a fertilizer manifold, which will just be a pvc pipe with some holes drilled in it for the tubes from the check valves to enter. This has apparently been done a few times before so I'm not too worried about the pressure issue. Its more a ferts clogging the check valves kind of problem. Right now my solution to this is 1) using better check valves,.and 2) diluting my ferts a bit more so hopefully clogs don't happen. But I really would like to hear from folks that have dealt with clogs before (either in this situation or another) with their ferts or better yet, who have done what I'm trying to do with inline dosing.

The dosing pump is a jebao wifi dosing pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.