The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried or see any reason why this wouldn't work?

If I wanted to have a 900 W heater for my tank could I put three 300W hydor external inline heaters in series (one right after the other) and connect them to a controller?

I am looking to possible use this on a 220 Gal tank.

·
Banned
579 Posts
I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. If anything you have a little redundancy going on because you have so many units. If your house is heated, they won't even have to work all that hard, although you do live in NY. Gotta love TX weather. :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I don't see why not either, but not sure you need three 300 watt for a 220 gal. You may be able to get away with two. Why don't you contact Hydor and see what they have to say.

You may want to ask them about the losses through the heater too. Three inline could cause additional head on a pump. Might be conservative to make sure that you have a couple extra feet of head available before spending all that money.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Is this off a canister's output? Don't you think plumbing them in parallel would be a better idea? Maybe a bit more plumbing work, but parallel plumbing should decrease head loss.

·
Banned
579 Posts
If by parrallel you mean putting a triple output on it, that would decrease flow significantly. Running them in series is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
how would the water have a direct flow from the filter if you plumbed them parrallel... i dont see how that would work
Just like resistors in electronics, plumbing stuff that has water flow resistance in parallel would have a decreased overall resistance than the same stuff in series. All else being equal. That said, accomplishing parallel plumbing physically may require other flow limiting tradeoffs like ell's, tees, etc.

·
Banned
579 Posts
We're dealing with the reality that elbows, T's, and reducing fittings signigicantly reduce flow. Much moreso than an extra horizontal foot of head on the pump.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
We're dealing with the reality that elbows, T's, and reducing fittings signigicantly reduce flow. Much moreso than an extra horizontal foot of head on the pump.
:proud: i agree...the losses going through the heaters can't be anywhere near the losses you would incur from three in parallel (and associated fittings).

Have you had any progress contacting them lillou?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already have a 300 W hydor external on my 75 gallon tank and as far as I could see there is nothing in the middle to slow the flow of water down.

I would be putting this on the outlet side of my wet/dry with a pump rated at 1000 GPH @ 5 foot head. So I don't think flow rate is going to be a problem
The outlet of the pump is 3/4" so going from 3/4 down to 5/8 for the inline isn't too bad a flow restriction.

I haven't contacted hydor as of yet and I don't know if I will.

I currently have two 350 watt heaters hooked up to a temperature controller and they struggle to keep the water temp at 80. I don't think they will be able to hold it a 84 during the winter. My tanks are in the basement which is heated but still cold in the winter.

I don't like the idea of leaving titanium heaters in my sump because they do get rather hot. If I can't put them in the sump and I don't want them in the tank. So the next logical place is inline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.