The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing an in-line Co2 atomizer and putting this inline on my Fluval 406. I was a bit worried as the fluval hosing is 18/22mm compared to the standard 16/22. I got an off cut of 16/22mm and this appears to fit fine. However I contacted Fluval and they came back saying:

"Hello I'm not sure if the Fluval 406 would fit a 16/22 hose, but we would strongly advise that you don't in-line anything with the 406, as this could cause the filter to back pressure and leak."

I asked them to double check this (and if I could post this information in forums) as it seemed a bit of a flaw and I've heard of people doing it and they came back with:

"Hello
Yes, we don't recommend in-lining anything with with our external filters. Post it on your forum if you wish, this may save a lot of stress and heartache."

I'd like to know if anyone has attached 16/22mm hose to the fluval 406 (or other external fluvals) and had any issues?

And if anyone has run anything inline on this? I really want the Co2 atomizer inline, with the intention of also putting in an inline heater to remove as much as possible from the tank.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a 405 and i think it is the same. I replaced the hoses with clear tubing. 3/4 or 5/8 i forget and i have an atomizer running for 2 years. My friend has a 405 and he ran it for over 2 years. No issues. Using the clear tubing i was also able to put an ada lily pipe on my return

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think all Fluval hookups use the 5/8 at the connector points. Their actual hoses are a bit smaller, but those rubber fittings at the ends are 5/8. I'd recommend just getting the clear tubing rather than buying more rubber fittings.

And as long as the things you're attaching in-line are the proper size, I don't see the issue. I have a Hydor 200w heater and an inline atomizer attached to mine, and it's working just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your experiences on this. I reckon you're right Sarah and they are just covering themselves.

I'm going to go ahead and setup an inline co2 atomizer and keep an eye on it. I'm sure it'll be fine! :icon_bigg

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just wanted to add. Once you have it setup. It takes a while for the atomizer to open up. You also need super high pressure out of your co2. Once the pores open up , it will stabilize.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What an obnoxious response by Fluval. Is there really any difference between adding some inline equipment, and running the filter with a slightly clogged filter pad? OK, maybe the inline equipment will be more likely to cause a leak in the connections on the output side, but that can be controlled.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a slight difference. It has to do with backpressure. If you reduce the inlet side, that is to close the valve so that less water can get into the filter pressure will drop, maybe cavatate and possibly the impellor/motor could heat up. If you restrict the outlet line the pressure in the filter will increase as the motor is pumping and water cannot escape of outward pressure is increased on the walls of the filter/ piping. Would an atomiser do this, probably not. but if i put one on I would use a by pass with a two way valve to controll the flow through it.
check out LS6 Tommy's here:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163977&page=3
that's what id do when adding anything in-line.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've never gotten an answer from Fluval that wasn't meant to cover their butts!

I just hooked up a Fluval canister with 16/22 hose, fits great! I used the eheim hose instead of the clear vinyl stuff... less kinking and collapsing.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have never had a Fluval canister but many people have used inline equipment and they make a quality filter, it wouldn't be any different from an Eheim or similar.

I don't know the answer to the tubing size but the response is actually quite reasonable from their end. Go to the factory dealership of the car you own and ask them for advice on an aftermarket supercharger or suspension setup. Quality parts work perfectly fine but they will tell you to only use their parts. They made the car for a certain purpose, they will never understand why you want to do something different. Just saying, they are just trying to have you leave it as is. If they told you how to do it and your filter fails, you have documented advice you could post all over the net.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So on this last Sunday night, I just hooked up a cerges reactor to my Fluval 404. I went with 5/8" ID / 7/8" OD braided vinyl tubing from Home Depot. I had to push with some decent force to get the tubing on the barb connectors, but it is working just great. For me, on the 404, that tubing was a perfect fit. It is thick enough that you won't need the plastic nut where it connects to the valve bracket. You could still use an "O" clamp if you want some extra safety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I went ahead and hooked it up. So far no leaks or any problems. Simply changed the outlet hose over to 16/22mm hose and that fits the 406 fine. The only minor thing I had was the new 16/22mm hose doesn't bend as easily over the tank without kinking so may look at that in the future, for now it has a nice easy bend into the tank. (Sticks out a bit from the side, but its not too bad)

I also have a fluval spray bar on my tank after the inline co2 diffuser and
thinking about their response saying that there could be a pressure build up, surely a spray bar could cause a pressure to build up and they obviously don't say not to use these?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have a 305 with a cerges reactor (3/4" hose connector) and a 206 with a DIY inline heater (1/2" hose connector) and replaced most of the ribbed tubing with clear vinyl. No issues with either. I want to replace the ribbed hose going to the aquastop though with clear vinyl but don't know what size to use.

If I had to do it all over again I would drill for bulkheads and connect the canisters straight to that. Will do that when I decide to upgrade tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didn't have time to read through every comment(sorry) but I have a 406 with inline equipment too, for the bends around the tank I used the ribbed hose that came with it connected to the strainer/spray bar and used enough of it to make the bend around the tank and then connected the vinyl hose to it. No kinks, no reduction in flow and now I can use whatever 16/22 in line equipment I want Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Line Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts