The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who has inline reactors on their canister filters? For those of you who do have them just kind of curious weather you have them on the intake or the return line? I'm specifically interested in those with Eheims.

I personally have mine on the return line because I've heard of all the problems I've heard of that can happen if placed on the intake line. It's great theory but I've yet to hear from someone who has actually had an Eheim (specifically a classic) go bad as a direct result of CO2 on the intake.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I contacted the person who designed the DIY reactor that I have to ask them about their experience with having that reactor in the intake line to their 2026 and 2213. The result was that they ran the reactor with 100% absorbtion and no problems at all with the filter. So I am left to wonder if the theory of the filter being ruined is all a result of speculation with no testing. Has anyone actually tested this theory?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've also wondered this. I don't necessary understand why essentially widening the intake tube for a distance would create problems for the filter. My Advice: don't test it on an eheim! That's an expensive experiment.

I HAVE however placed a microbubble diffuser directly under the canister filter intake...so the tiny microbubbles had to pass through the impellar or be dissolved. I never had any problems, except I didn't find that to be a great way to dissolve the co2.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Its a good question.

I think with the traditional Hofftizier reactor which had bioballs, its a real issue of potentially clogging the feed to the filter. Now a days, many of us run without any media. But I actually believe all the CO2 is absorbed with a good/long enough reactor. So in that respect, it may be a mute point if there is any advantage to putting it on the intake side of the filter. If it is all absorbed 100% on the outflow, its all one can ask for.

FWIW, what I truly like about reactors is they require no maintenance at all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as I said, the guy who drew up the plans for my reactor ran it on the intake of a 2213 and a 2026 for years with no issues at all. The problem I'm having right now is that I'm not getting 100% absorbtion with the reactor on the outflow. It may have something to do with the fact that I eliminated the bioballs from the design. I'm going to open it up and add the bioballs to see if that helps. If I find that it doesn't do the trick completely I'mm then try the reactor on the intake.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
One thing you might consider (if its an option). If you have two can filters on one tank, you can run the gas on a lower output rather than through a spraybar. That helps to have more time/depth for all the gas to dissolve. I have my gas on a lower outflow and no gas through that tank's spraybar. If that is not an option,I imagine the bioballs might help, though it reduces flow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have 2 canister filter on that tank; one is the 2215 and the other is a 2026. The reactor is on the return line of the 2215 right now. Unfortunatly the 2215 is the only one of the 2 in which I have the regular Eheim media (minus the carbon) running. My thought is that if I have the CO2 running on the intake and through all that media then it should give it plenty of time to absorb. I'm not sure how to acheive the low outflow on my tank, I've sure I can figure it out though.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Good discussion, and I'm most likely going to design my inline reactor to fit onto the intake now. It simply is just less turns for the water to make. Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rex, the reactor is about 16" long, the CO2 is injected into the bottom and the water flows from bottom to top. If I move it to the intake I will be flipping it over. The reactor has been running for about a month.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rex, the only thing flipping the reactor will accomplish is having the CO2 injected at the top. The design of the reactor will now allow for the water to flow from top to bottom. The only way for me to have the water flow reversed in the reactor without making any modifications would be to put it on the intake, thus the plan to move it.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Design of the reactor? What?

Pop off the tubing, flip the reactor upside-down, re-attach the canister tubing. Now, as you inject CO2 at the top, it'll try to rise to the surface. However, the water going from top to bottom will push it back down and eventually dissolve it all.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
why flip the reactor? Just reverse the tubing.:icon_eek:
Because traditionally CO2 is injected at the top part of the reactor, thus forcing it to work against the current and helping to completely dissolve it. That is assuming the cannister filter's outflow first connects to the top of the reactor.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Rex, the only thing flipping the reactor will accomplish is having the CO2 injected at the top. The design of the reactor will now allow for the water to flow from top to bottom. The only way for me to have the water flow reversed in the reactor without making any modifications would be to put it on the intake, thus the plan to move it.
Hmm... take a minute and look at my reactor design. I can't for the life of me understand why you can't flip the reactor and change the plumbing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simple answer here. :) Rex, I didn't use your design. Here's what I have.

This thing doesn't sit on the floor, it hangs down the back of the tank. So simply flipping the reactor doesn't reverse the flow of the water in it, the water still would run from bottom to top and the CO2 would simply have less time in the reactor. It is designed to be placed on the intake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.