The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi plant people. Recently purchased a hydor 450 canister and I'm in the planning phase. I would like to use the inline atomizer I already have, but the return pipe from the hydor is much larger than the atomizer barbs. Would it be ok to assume that I could just get some reducing tee fittings and just plumb the atomizer to the side. Sorta like if you got off the exit ramp of the highway, but then just drove straight on to the entrance ramp and back onto the highway (which I've done :) Anyone ever do something similar?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi greenseeker,

I would proceed with caution if doing a mod that constricts the flow into or out of your filter.

If you constrict the outflow the back pressure will put cause the motor to work harder possibly causing increased heat and wear. In addition the increased pressure in the canister case may cause the seals to leak or fail in the motor to canister area or if there is a priming button in that area.

If the input is constricted the resulting lower pressure in the canister case may cause air to leak into the canister where there are seals and/or cavitation of the impeller.

Either of the two locations will reduce the rated GPH of the filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just to clarify, the outflow from the canister would still have a straight, unrestricted flow back to the tank. But it would also have a "jut" to the side that could pick up the co2. Does this make sense?

Payluder....did you see any reduction in filter flow? In the end I guess that's what I'm worried about.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No I don't see a difference. The whole stays the same from one side to the other. But in my case my canister has the smaller tubing and the heater is the one was the bigger barb.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Hi greenseeker,

I would proceed with caution if doing a mod that constricts the flow into or out of your filter.

If you constrict the outflow the back pressure will put cause the motor to work harder possibly causing increased heat and wear. In addition the increased pressure in the canister case may cause the seals to leak or fail in the motor to canister area or if there is a priming button in that area.
I don't think this is correct. The type of pump used in a canister filter does not generate much pressure. It is capable of pushing the water a few inches up to get it over the rim of the tank, but not much more than that. When you restrict the flow from the filter that is all it does - it reduces the flow. You can block the output flow entirely and still not damage the filter. What you can't do without damaging the filter is unduly restrict the input flow. When you do that the pump in the filter cavitates, and that causes damage to the internal parts of the pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Restricting the output of the filter will not cause any appreciable additional wear and tear (although restricting the input side would). Your filter performance would be diminished somewhat however by doing what you're suggesting. No doubt about it. I'd just buy the model sized appropriately for your filter tubing and keep your filter output at 100% if I were you.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't think this is correct. The type of pump used in a canister filter does not generate much pressure. It is capable of pushing the water a few inches up to get it over the rim of the tank, but not much more than that. When you restrict the flow from the filter that is all it does - it reduces the flow. You can block the output flow entirely and still not damage the filter. What you can't do without damaging the filter is unduly restrict the input flow. When you do that the pump in the filter cavitates, and that causes damage to the internal parts of the pump.
True That:wink2:

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
more than a few inches..
Does anyone know if there is a minimum pump head height for an Eheim Classic 2011?
I found the specs for maximum = 3' -11"

for my own reference..
From the specs I have gathered on Eheim filters, it appears that all the Classic models require 4" more than the height of the filter.
Example, the 2213, which is about 14" tall, has a minimum installation height between the water surface & the bottom of the filter of 18".
The 2215 (14.5" tall) has a min. install height of 18.5".
The 2217 (15.75"tall) has a min. install height of 19.75".

·
Registered
159 Posts
All but the last up and over on the output of a canister filter (the section of tubing above the water line in the tank) is just water seeking its own level. The pump is just pushing it that last 3".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.