The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pick up a couple of digital heater controllers for my tanks and I'm wondering what those with experience using controllers have to say. I'm looking at these two as they have pretty good reviews with minimal complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Electronic-Temperature-Germination-Controlling/dp/B01486LZ50/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1462946289&sr=8-4&keywords=aquarium+temperature+controller

Amazon.com : Finnex Temperature Controller Digital Heater : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies

Sure, a computerized controller like a ReefKeeper would be nice but I'd probably never use it for more than lights and heaters so there is really no need to blow that kind of money.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have the same finnex controller. It is a good controller with an alarm. I cant speak on that particular inkbird controller however if you are willing to do a little diy then the inkbird 1000 is a nice controller with a cooling side as well it does however lack an alarm. I'm using the inkbird 1000 on a shrimp tank because I need the cooling. If you want to go that route I can help you get setup. If you want to avoid diy and maintain the two choices you have linked then I would go with the finnex because it has an alarm.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I got two Finnex and love them. Changed water other day and the temp alarm came on it's loud enough you won't miss if your close. I also have two of 800 watt heater they have been hassle free. I would like to have them on all my tanks. Price point is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm always looking for more ways to have automation.

To those with the Finnex - how valid are the complaints in the Amazon reviews regarding overly short probe length? I'd use this on a pretty tall tank.

Has anyone actually used the Inkbird controller on an aquarium? Seems to have a lot more options but I don't quite understand the mechanism based on the Amazon description alone.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That one is better than the 300 model - the probe is 2' long, the power cord is maybe 4'. I could technically use it on my 75, but I'd have to hang it off the front (or back) and either have the cords hanging across the top, or the controller against the wall (where I couldn't see it to check). Considering the one I removed was an old...LaMotte I think? with a 6' long probe cord... I kept the controller hidden in the cabinet.

I think...they expect and assume that you don't mind having equipment hanging off the front rim of your tank.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've been using the Inkbird on my SW reef system. I have been delighted with it. It's easy to set up. Easy displays to read. It's a dual set point, so you can set it up to run a heater and a chiller or other cooling device.

That being said, I think any of the temp controllers mentioned here would work fine, and would be a massive step up form just using your standard aquarium heater.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Is the InkBird Temp probe waterproof?
I have two inkbird 1000 that I have been running for months with no issues. I would assume they are the same probe.

I've been using the Inkbird on my SW reef system. I have been delighted with it. It's easy to set up. Easy displays to read. It's a dual set point, so you can set it up to run a heater and a chiller or other cooling device.

That being said, I think any of the temp controllers mentioned here would work fine, and would be a massive step up form just using your standard aquarium heater.
Is the one he linked to the same one you have? I thought I read on it that was not able to cool?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are two versions. One does heating and cooling, one does heating only. I run two undersized heaters on my big tank,and the heating only version is perfect for my setup.

I also have a Finnex heater/controller on my 29 gallon tank. It also seems to work well, but I sort of don't trust it because the heater, sensor and controller are all part of the same unit. It doesn't seem all that different than a heater with its own thermostat. With the Inkbird, I have two completely independent checkpoints on the water temp.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
None at all. I must admit when I first saw it I was a little worried, but it's been fine. It's also on a SW reef system, so the SW would tend to get to the probe long before water in a planted tank would.
Definitely worth looking at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with Inkbird. The thermostat in the Inkbird is much better than the Finnex and I like that the controller is separate from the heater. I am running the 306 (heat only) model on my 12 long and the 308 (heat and cool) on my 29 hex. On the 308, I hooked up my heater and my portable air condetioner so if the water gets to cold, the heater kicks on and if it gets to warm, the ac kicks on. So far both units have done a wonderful job of keeping my tanks right at 74 degrees.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have two inkbird 308-s runs a fan and a heater. If you had to run two heaters you would have to rig something up. The probe is replaceable as well.

They also have a low and high alarm you set.

Been running a couple months

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.