The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw free FB marketplace aquarium supplies and there were so many great supplies including aqueon master testing kit, and surprisingly Root Medic macro and micro bottles!

So the website for rootmedic is no longer up and running so I’m just curious if anyone knows the specifics of these solutions.

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump:
The only thing I could find about this is a review on AC (is this link kosher now? It's been a few years since I've been on the forum)

My question is basically:
I got this stuff for free, is it worth keeping?

Otherwise I still have a giant jug of flourish that is at least.... 5 years old? Honestly i don't remember buying it/can't believe it made the cut with the move.

I feel like i've forgotten nearly everything about the hobby. :(

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Hard to say anything about the fertilizers; it largely depends on how they were kept.

Macronutrients are generally just mineral salts, so they should be fine, provided they were stored properly. I would be more hesitant for the micronutrients.

For the testing kit, there usually is a 'best before' date that is printed on the bottles.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to say anything about the fertilizers; it largely depends on how they were kept.

Macronutrients are generally just mineral salts, so they should be fine, provided they were stored properly. I would be more hesitant for the micronutrients.

For the testing kit, there usually is a 'best before' date that is printed on the bottles.

Interesting. If they ‘go bad’ what happens? The tank is sorted so I don’t necessarily need them.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Interesting. If they ‘go bad’ what happens? The tank is sorted so I don’t necessarily need them.

For the micronutrients, the chelating agents will degrade with time, which will release whatever they are chelating (typically iron), rendering them essentially unusable by plants.

For the test kits, the test results might not be accurate. I have successfully used expired test kits, but I always check against known standards to ensure they are still reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.