365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on the list familar with this Sword plant specie Echinodurus Bear L211
Greatly appreciated.
omboocat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Appears to be a Kleiner bar sword. If that's the case, my understanding of the species and from what I've seen from my own kleiner bar swords are that they're a smaller sword usually about 10" to 12" and relatively easy to grow. Color varies depending upon light and nutrients.
-me

·
Registered
764 Posts
If the plant is really this one, pictured here, then yes, it is Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bär' (Small Bear) and stays rather small. If however, it is not that one in pic (which is from Kasselmann's book, btw.), then it can be also E. 'Grosser Bär' (ie. Big Bear)... or anything else that is sold in the states as Kleiner Bär, but which grows much bigger, I hear. :) [Oh, and it's not a species but a hybrid. ;)]

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply I had thought it may be a Kleiner bar Sword, I purchased the plant from Aquadise. I also purchased one named the Rose anyone with info on this one.
omboocat

·
Registered
764 Posts
Echinodorus 'Rosé' is an older hybrid (from the 80's), a cross between red uruguayensis (aka. E. horemanii 'Rot', for red) and E. horizontalis. It becomes really big. It would grow out of my 60 cm (24'') high tank if I'd let it. The flowers of my plant are gently scented too, a character inherited from E. uruguayensis. I've heard that not all 'Rosé's have the scent, though... There seems to be two 'versions' of the 'Rosé' around: the original cross without any spots and the occasionally spotted one (I have the latter).

Easy to grow, appreciates root tabs like all the swords. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts