The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get some information on breeding amano shrimp? I have heard of Mike Noren but his website doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Amanos will breed readily in any aquarium. Once she is berried the female will eventually release a planktonic, larval form shrimp called a zoea (plural zoeas.) In the wild the zoeas are washed downstream to brackish marshes where they develop into adult form (benthic) shrimp and make their way back upstream. In an aquarium, the zoeas have to be moved from the freshwater tank to a brackish tank and held and fed there for approximately a month before they transform.

My best results so far have been from keeping the berried female in a small, 1 gallon, tank to release her zoeas. Once that has happened I use a pipette to transfer them to a brackish tank at 1.019 salinity. I've had my best success with that tank being an established 10 gallon tank with an air powered sponge filter. For feeding I use DTs phytoplankton blend and cultured marine phytoplankton in small quantities (just enough to cloud the water when fed, basically.) I keep the tank at 78 degrees and have the lights on 12 hours a day. Once a shrimp has developed into its benthic form I move it out of the brackish tank using a turkey baster and put it into a small (roughly 1 quart) container half filled with brackish water. Each day I add 50 percent of the volume of the container in fresh water from the tank that I'm moving the shrimp to. After 5 days the shrimp has been transitioned fully and can be released into the destination tank.

As madness said, my success at this has been limited, right now I've got about a 1/10 success rate for the zoeas that I've tried to raise in the manner I just described. The sample was fairly small though, so I'll have to wait to see if that holds up for future attempts and if I can improve on it using other methods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts