The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, posting here because I'm having a little difficulty finding anything truly decisive about Gardneri Killifish stocking and was hoping someone here could help me out.

I have a 20g (tall) tank. Fairly well planted. The only stock are a small number of dwarf/pygmy cories (unfortunately I have not had good luck keeping either fish). Water is very soft (0-1GH) and slightly acidic (~6.8), which I have gathered are pretty much ideal.

So. Here are my general questions.

1. Would the Gardneris be threats to the dwarf/pygmy cories? Despite no longer being interested in keeping them in anything besides possibly true nano tanks, I would much rather the remaining ones not get eaten.

2. At 20g, what would be the optimal stocking pattern for them? The only recommendation I've really been able to find is a reverse trio (2m/1f) or a single pair (m/f), and that hasn't really been directly related to tank size.

3. Are they best kept alone, or would I want some sort of smaller schooling/shoaling fish with them?

4. Are Gardneri's jumpers? I hear Killis pretty universally are. Currently, since my hood is broken, I actually have a pretty large opening in it. Would I want to rectify this before acquiring them? If so, how "sealed" does a tank need to be and are there any general recommendations for doing it easily?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hey, posting here because I'm having a little difficulty finding anything truly decisive about Gardneri Killifish stocking and was hoping someone here could help me out.

I have a 20g (tall) tank. Fairly well planted. The only stock are a small number of dwarf/pygmy cories (unfortunately I have not had good luck keeping either fish). Water is very soft (0-1GH) and slightly acidic (~6.8), which I have gathered are pretty much ideal.

So. Here are my general questions.

1. Would the Gardneris be threats to the dwarf/pygmy cories? Despite no longer being interested in keeping them in anything besides possibly true nano tanks, I would much rather the remaining ones not get eaten.

2. At 20g, what would be the optimal stocking pattern for them? The only recommendation I've really been able to find is a reverse trio (2m/1f) or a single pair (m/f), and that hasn't really been directly related to tank size.

3. Are they best kept alone, or would I want some sort of smaller schooling/shoaling fish with them?

4. Are Gardneri's jumpers? I hear Killis pretty universally are. Currently, since my hood is broken, I actually have a pretty large opening in it. Would I want to rectify this before acquiring them? If so, how "sealed" does a tank need to be and are there any general recommendations for doing it easily?
search steel blue killi, you may find more info about them.

1. I don't think that the Gardneris will eat them, but they may harass them as gardneris are bottom to mid water dwelling fish.

2.that is at odds with what i have read, i have read that a single male need mulitple females as they do tend to harass the females a lot. however in my tank i have not seen any aggression between my male and female. it may have something to do with my stocking in the tank, 5 purple passion danos, and two female golden wonder killifish.

3. i read that they are community fish and i am currently keeping mine in a community with no issues (mine are still young and are not full grown yet)

4. like i said above they are bottom to mid water fish, so i haven't read them being jumpers such as the top water killi fish, but that does not mean they won't.

as a side note i read these fish survive in annual ponds that dry up during the dry season. the eggs can survive the dry months and when the water returns the eggs hatch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
1. I find that my dwarf cories and gardneri were fine, they ignored each other.

2. I liked my patten of 1 male to 3 females, until one jumped and the other my brother scared out of jumping pu tof the tank and severly injuring itself. So I got 1:1 and has worked for about 6 months.

3. My female killi likes to harass the shoaling fish, but they do help my male be less shy so they counteract each other.

4. My females will jump but my male stays away from the surface and only goes there to eat so the males and females are like the exact opposites.

Overall: Males are very shy and Females act like thay won some kind of award and are nuts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the commentary so far. Anything is appreciated.

I was aware of the American Killifish Association, but, at the moment, outside of paying for membership, I was having an odd amount of trouble learning from them as well.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I can appreciate that. The layout for their website is far from ideal! Recently it was given over to a new webmaster so hopefully we will see an improvement. I am not a member either btw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I'd post some updates since I went ahead and tried them out.

Went with 6 total (4 male, 2 female) after seeing some recommendations about reverse hareming them. It seems to be working reasonably well so far. The males skirmish a bit every now and then, but I haven't seen any damage. The tank is decently planted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have 2 pair M/f, M/F and they Harass Male guppies in my tank and Apparently killed a von rio tetra (he was a anti social loner) other than that the 2 males keep the same territory under some floaters and above some moss while the females Roam the entire tank sometimes schooling with other fish( I think they are fin nipping but haven't witnessed it other than the guppy tails). Then again Mine are not quite mature yet that may change when they decide to breed.
I can't talk about jumping as my Tank is covered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.