The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Will be moving in about 9 months and starting to plant ahead for a new tank.

Looking at possibly a 125 and wondering if anyone has recommendations for a stand. DIY wont be a possibility as I will be moving across country away from family (grad student) and I wont have access to necessary power tools.

Wondering if anyone has any pointers on finding stands (besides craigslist) that are inexpensive as money doesnt exactly flow while in school.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can build a basic stand with nothing but 2x4s (which you can cut with a cheap handsaw or get cut at Home Depot) and a drill.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You can build an "old school" college record shelf - Stand.

Standard concrete block 16x8x8"
halfblock 8x8x8"
8- 6 or 8' 4x4s

Row #1 place a 1/2block and a full block end to end so you have 24x8x8. One pair on each end, one pair in the middle.

Row#2 span 4- 4x4s across the length over the 3 support block pairs.

Row #3 & #4 two high pairs of concrete blocks over the other blocks on the 4x4s.

Row #5 the other 4-4x4s and the top.

You are now 32" off the floor for the Aquarium.

Option #1, you can run a 2 x 6' or 8' pc of plywood over the 4x4s.
Option #2 replace all the 4x4s with just plywood but add one more row of concrete blocks so you maintain height.

This design gives you a bottom shelf and a top shelf. no tools needed as it's basically a "jingo" build.

Home Depot cuts plywood for free up to 3 cuts.

4x4s come in 6' & 8' lenghts. If your tank is 7' you get a 1x2' shelf. You can put a 6' tank on the 8' length and have a 2x2' shelf.

Find someone that does Yoga, they usually have a trashed matt they might give you or dumpster dive behind a Flooring Store they usually have carpet
or Laminate floor padding/underlayment in the trash. You can use that under the blocks to protect the floor.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can build a basic stand with nothing but 2x4s (which you can cut with a cheap handsaw or get cut at Home Depot) and a drill.
The more I think about it the more I realize this is probably the only way to go. Te last stand I built I went way over the top and of course budget. But realize now where I could have cut off excess.

Plus this will allow me to do plumbing on it

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'd second the 2x4 method. I started getting into aquaria when I was in college, and I built my stands out of 2x4's, cut with a cheap handsaw, and screwed together with a leatherman (that was probably the hard part)

A stand that big is going to be fairly expensive to buy. At those prices, you could probably buy some mediocre powertools, a few dozen 2x4s, and have a bit left over.

They are relatively uncommon, but some cities have tool-lending libraries that can be a _great_ help. Also see what you might get access to through your university.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tool-lending_libraries

good luck, and let us know what you end up doing

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The more I think about it the more I realize this is probably the only way to go. Te last stand I built I went way over the top and of course budget. But realize now where I could have cut off excess.

Plus this will allow me to do plumbing on it
You can have Home Depot do the plywood cuts and cut all your 2x4s to length. Then on your way out rent a drill. Borrow drill bits, driver heads, screw drivers from home, mail them back after assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts