The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I'm gathering the materials to start a 25g shallow and I want to do no soil with only lava/gravel/sand as substrate and build the ecosystem slowly, similar to how MD Fish Tanks does it in this vid:

With that in mind, how to the plants get nutrients to grow without soil in the substrate? Do they get enough nourishment to grow from photosynthesis alone or do I need to use liquid fert in the water column?

Edit: I'm reposting this in the Substrate section as I realized this question is probably better suited for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everybody,

I'm gathering the materials to start a 25g shallow and I want to do no soil with only lava/gravel/sand as substrate and build the ecosystem slowly, similar to how MD Fish Tanks does it in this vid:

With that in mind, how to the plants get nutrients to grow without soil in the substrate? Do they get enough nourishment to grow from photosynthesis alone or do I need to use liquid fert in the water column?

Edit: I'm reposting this in the Substrate section as I realized this question is probably better suited for that.
I congratulate you for the very professional aquarium. I see that you are very good at caring.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Almost all plant life on earth needs 3 things to survive: Light, CO2, and nutrition. In a low tech tank, you can get away with only atmospheric levels of CO2, but all planted tanks will require nutrient dosing of some kind. This is a very in depth topic that I'm not going to type out here, but you can check the "Fertilizers and Water Parameters" section of this forum to get you started.

TL;DR Yes, you'll need to fertilize your plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.