The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a coworker who is selling induction lights, mostly for outdoor / industrial usage. From what he tells me, they use a lot less electricity than T5 and T8 and the light spectru, intensity, and lifespan blows away LED (which I've never been a big fan of).

I was hoping someone knew some information or has some experience with this technology because it seems like a great application for aquariums in theory, especially for planted tanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got an induction lamp to test out but returned in the end. The one that I had interfere with my open tv reception and it also produce a low level hum.

I am still waiting for some one to make and external electrode flourescent lamp for home use. They are supposed to last as long as led and are very efficient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to know that someone has given this a whirl. I'm not too concerned with the TV reception as I have cable and I think I can live with the hum. I'm more concerned on the light spectrum and intensity. From what my coworker tells me, he's replacing 400 w parking lot florescent lights with 125 watt induction lights and getting better coverage.

He mentioned getting into aquarium lighting and I told him that I would be more than willing to beta test it out for live plants.

I'm just so sick of paying 40 - 50 usd for replacement CF bulbs and I wanna stay away from LED.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I've got a coworker who is selling induction lights, mostly for outdoor / industrial usage. From what he tells me, they use a lot less electricity than T5 and T8 and the light spectru, intensity, and lifespan blows away LED (which I've never been a big fan of).

I was hoping someone knew some information or has some experience with this technology because it seems like a great application for aquariums in theory, especially for planted tanks.
Check this company out.
http://www.inda-gro.com/

·
Registered
188 Posts
Those lighting technologies are very interesting. Why aren't these talked about more often? I've never heard of either one of them but would try them out in a heart beat

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Those lighting technologies are very interesting. Why aren't these talked about more often? I've never heard of either one of them but would try them out in a heart beat
This type of lighting is very old technology.
Maybe you can answer the question. Why don't you know ? Whatever answer you come up with probably applies to lots of people.

There's also something called plasma lighting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think cherry corals tried plasma lighting when they dimmed it it changed the spectrum

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's really interesting; except the price tag...
The price tag is pretty competitive.

If you can believe the manufacturer's statements, a 200 W induction light is close to equivalent to a 400 W MH. Figure a five year operating lifetime, you're going to replace the MH bulbs twice, maybe three times. At my cost of electricity $.0977/kW/hr, you're looking at a five year cost of $855 to run the MH, half that for the induction. Looks to me that you save about $250 over five years. And the manufacturer claims a 16 year lifetime (70K hours, 12 hours per day...)

Now, the form factor doesn't look that good (reflector for a 5' x 5' area for 200 W, better for horticulture). Looks like this would be good for growing ... tomatoes ... in your basement. :hihi:

Seems like this needs to have a circular or rectangular bulb. If someone wanted to make this in a friendlier form factor to match our tanks, or a lower wattage, with a decent spectrum, this technology could work.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
So what's wrong with the lighting we have now? Other than from an energy savings point of view what do these lights accomplish that we can't with traditional CFLs and LEDs?

Although those induction lamps look really friggin cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what's wrong with the lighting we have now? Other than from an energy savings point of view what do these lights accomplish that we can't with traditional CFLs and LEDs?

Although those induction lamps look really friggin cool.
There's nothing "wrong" per-say with our current lights but what were people using before MH or CFL? The technology is advancing and when they apply it to our specific needs, it can only get better, right?

Lower energy cost is something that we aquascapers don't always take into consideration. If we could get the same results while using less energy, weather that be energy efficient lights, lower cost to run our filters and heaters, we should embrace it. I hate to get all hippie on everyone but there are few threads on this site about lower energy costs and this could be our first step.

PS... hell yea those look cool

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The price tag is pretty competitive.

If you can believe the manufacturer's statements, a 200 W induction light is close to equivalent to a 400 W MH. Figure a five year operating lifetime, you're going to replace the MH bulbs twice, maybe three times. At my cost of electricity $.0977/kW/hr, you're looking at a five year cost of $855 to run the MH, half that for the induction. Looks to me that you save about $250 over five years. And the manufacturer claims a 16 year lifetime (70K hours, 12 hours per day...)

Now, the form factor doesn't look that good (reflector for a 5' x 5' area for 200 W, better for horticulture). Looks like this would be good for growing ... tomatoes ... in your basement. :hihi:

Seems like this needs to have a circular or rectangular bulb. If someone wanted to make this in a friendlier form factor to match our tanks, or a lower wattage, with a decent spectrum, this technology could work.
From the very little research I've done, the biggest issue I see is the light spectrum. The highest I've seen any induction light is 6700. It is A LOT of power for what most of us could use (unless you're running a massive 200 g +) and at that point, I would think it would be better to go with a HPS set up.

One day, they'll have it applied for our needs. By then, there will be a technology even better for us to look forward to aquarium applications.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From the very little research I've done, the biggest issue I see is the light spectrum.
Since it's really just a fluorescent lamp, a manufacturer could use any mix of phosphors they wanted. Anything you can get in a current fluorescent you could design for a induction lamp - pink, actinic, whatever.

All of this is predicated on someone deciding to introduce these lights to the aquarium market.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Since it's really just a fluorescent lamp, a manufacturer could use any mix of phosphors they wanted. Anything you can get in a current fluorescent you could design for a induction lamp - pink, actinic, whatever.

All of this is predicated on someone deciding to introduce these lights to the aquarium market.
They already are in use.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Just out of curiosity is there a reason you don't like led?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

They are very heavy in the blue spectrum. At least the white variants are. Without supplemental 650nm red lamps most LED fixtures have a lot to be desired in rendering and producing red coloration in plants.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
They are very heavy in the blue spectrum. At least the white variants are. Without supplemental 650nm red lamps most LED fixtures have a lot to be desired in rendering and producing red coloration in plants.
A point that all should be aware of. That's why there are companies like Build My Led and Acan which incorporate multicolor leds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts