The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Indian almond leaves for a shrimp tank. I purchased medium sized leaves and these things are huge, about the size of my hand. My tank is a 10 gallon. Should I put them whole? Or tear into smaller pieces?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I bought some Indian almond leaves for a shrimp tank. I purchased medium sized leaves and these things are huge, about the size of my hand. My tank is a 10 gallon. Should I put them whole? Or tear into smaller pieces?
You can break them in half or cut them. I use smaller leaves in my shrimp tank but keep them whole. As they start to break down in the water that’s when your shrimp will begin to flock to them. They will be attracted to them but it will take a little bit of time before that happens so be patient.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I wouldn't leave it whole unless you actually need that much material and have a spot for it in the tank where it won't be shading plants. It does take a while to get soft enough for them to go for, so I usually have a few large-ish pieces in the tank of different ages that I rotate. I put the new ones in the back and then pull the juiciest one in the front of the tank so I can watch them graze. When that piece is mostly gone I pull it out, move another piece to the front and add a new piece in the back. (I should note that I am not trying to alter my water chemistry with the leaves - I am not sure how much material you would need to do that, but it's more than I use.)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I have no shrimp yet tanks been aging/cycling for 3 months now ( taking forever to cycle) I'm guessing because of the buffering soil? but I'm going to order some CRS here soon. Was gonna drop a leaf in or pieces so it's ready when they arrive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.