The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My rummynose tetra are more shy lately and I am not really sure why. The parameters are fine, my rams look better than ever, yet the rummynose are hiding behind the driftwood all day until they get hungry. They used to not be like this!

The only thing I can really think of that has changed is that the tank has become much more heavily planted up front. Its overgrown at the front of my tank and I am wondering if they are timid now because they do not have enough swimming space. Anyway, I will open up the front of my aquascape for more swimming room and see if it improves anything.

Any thoughts about fish hanging out in the back?

Thanks

·
Registered
963 Posts
Mine have always hung at the back of the tank behind the driftwood. I've had them for the better part of a year. I even increased their number from 7 to 10 and that didn't help. They are in with a pair of angels, 4 cories and a few otos.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Absolutely, open up the front of the tank. My rummies are in a heavily planted discus tank, with cardinals, I pushed all the plants back and opened up the front, the cardinals school at the top 1/3 of the tank and the rummies the bottom 1/3, so, even if you have low plants in the front, your rummies might not like it. I like the "beach" look of the sand at the front of the tank

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine have always hung at the back of the tank behind the driftwood. I've had them for the better part of a year. I even increased their number from 7 to 10 and that didn't help. They are in with a pair of angels, 4 cories and a few otos.
That sucks! Maybe this thread can help you a little as well...

Absolutely, open up the front of the tank. My rummies are in a heavily planted discus tank, with cardinals, I pushed all the plants back and opened up the front, the cardinals school at the top 1/3 of the tank and the rummies the bottom 1/3, so, even if you have low plants in the front, your rummies might not like it. I like the "beach" look of the sand at the front of the tank
Thanks for the input. So your cardinals and rummies schooled better and were less scared when you opened up the front? I was just throwing in plants for a while so the front got too planted and I got lazy. Then I noticed the tetras were more timid, and maybe less color.

Could this be because they were too cramped with not enough swimming space?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I had a similar experience - when I filled in the back with tall plants my cardinals seemed more comfortable roaming up high. I don't think they want to be in front of the plants, they just don't want to be above the plants.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have plenty of tall plants, its just the plants are too tall in the front as well lol. But is it possible for them to be stressed from too much cover? Seems weird

1 - 6 of 6 Posts