The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title. :) I'm curious as to what the most efficient way to increase oxygenation and water circulation in a 20g long Iwagumi-style setup. I'm leaning away from a powerhead simply due to the bulkiness of it....but I want something that can also give more flow around the tank without taking away from the simplicity of the tank. I've currently got an HC carpet with rocks in the middle, an eheim 2215, dosing EI method (50% weekly wc included) and injecting CO2 (paintball w/ adapter and regulator) via a glass/ceramic diffuser. Also, I want to know how to increase oxygenation in the tank without creating too much splashing noise (i.e. raising lily pipes up) or clutter. A carpet of HC is the only flora I have in the tank so I don't really have any stems to hide stuff. Any and all ideas are welcome as long as they're not overly expensive. I approve of DIY projects so go wild. Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
i'd just get a circulation pump. they are much less bulky than powerheads and not sure how big your tank is, but koralia makes decent ones and there's a few other companies that make them. the more you increase surface agitation though, the more co2 you'll lose.

other option is a bigger filter, but if you want cheap, that's not the way to go.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 20g long. Updated the first post to reflect that. The 2215 is already great for the tank, so I'm not going to upgrade it unless it's absolutely necessary. Any Koralia circulator you personally recommend?

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's a 20g long. Updated the first post to reflect that. The 2215 is already great for the tank, so I'm not going to upgrade it unless it's absolutely necessary. Any Koralia circulator you personally recommend?
they come in a bunch of sizes so i guess it depends on how much you want ;) they have a koralia nano that does 240 gph (about 20$) and it goes up from there.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If you have the input and output at opposite ends I'd think your circulation is pretty good. Iwagumis are pretty open and the tank being long would help the water flow from one end to the other, returning through the filter.

If you don't want to add a powerhead or create more surface agitation, you're kinda cutting every option off the bat, IMO.

Edit: I consider a koralia a powerhead.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I consider it as a circulation pump...sorry for the confusion. I define a powerhead as anything that's generally a motor head, an outflow and an intake as compared to just a propeller. Also, I have my intake and outflow at the same end because my diffuser is at the opposite end and the outflow pushes it down to allow the bubbles to better circulate throughout the tank. Also, the goal is to increase oxygenation and circulation without creating too much noise or splashing noise.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump. Updated my posts to allow surface agitation so long as it doesn't create a splashing noise (drives me insane). Does anyone have experience with the Koralia circulation pumps? I'm guessing I could do one on the opposite side of my tank with the flow being parallel to my lily pipes....creating somewhat of a circular motion around the top of my tank. However, I don't want to have TOO much flow because the only powerhead I own right now isn't adjustable and creates too much flow for what I need (it literally displaces gravel on the other side of the tank).

Flow idea:
X = lily pipe outflow
Q = intake
C = CO2 diffuser
O = possible Koralia circulation pump
---> = flow

|Q<--------------------------O|
| ^
V |
|X-------------------------->C|

Won't let me format the side arrows right, so move the upward facing arrow to the other side of the tank.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recommended size for a 20g long? It'll be travelling the length of the tank (30.25"), not the width. I just need something that won't hit the other side and stir up my soil/HC.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Recommended size for a 20g long? It'll be travelling the length of the tank (30.25"), not the width. I just need something that won't hit the other side and stir up my soil/HC.
You can always direct it towards the front glass so it bounces off instead of directly flows across. But I'm not sure if a 240gph would really sir it up that far down...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mind giving a little more detail? I wanted to run it the length of the tank...wouldn't directing it directly at the front glass cause excess vertical flow (from bouncing off the glass) or did you mean still have it travel lengthwise, but aim it at the front glass?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had a koralife nano in my 20g long tank and it did great. No splashing noise and it wasn't too bulky looking in the tank either. If you have shrimp in your tank you might want to put a piece of cloth over the powerhead so nothing gets sucked up and blended. The setup I had was exactly how you imagine yours to be.

X = lily pipe outflow
Q = intake
C = CO2 diffuser
O = possible Koralia circulation pump
---> = flow

|Q<--------------------------O|
| ^
V |
|X-------------------------->C|

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
While a koralia would work, Often iniwagumi systems you want the minimum intrusion from the equipment. That's one reason why some people use lily pipes.

Another possible option would be to add a closed loop. In other word, add an addition set of intake and outflow lily pipes and rather then connecting them to a canister filter, connect them to a pump that can be use externally.

All the close loop does is increase the flow. It does no additional filtration.

Just something else to think about.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The additional pump and lily pipes would add more bulk than single circulation pump, eh? Also, the Koralia Nano 240 seems to be the popular choice here...anyone else want to confirm this before I place a purchase?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In a 10g? Wow. Almost makes me wonder if the 240 would be enough for my 20g long. :hihi: Any issues with corals being blown around or did you direct it at the glass and distribute the flow?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a befriended employee at PetsMart test out one of their Aqueon 500gph circulation pumps....holy cow. However, half of that seems quite ideal. Ordered the 240. :)

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
In a 10g? Wow. Almost makes me wonder if the 240 would be enough for my 20g long. :hihi: Any issues with corals being blown around or did you direct it at the glass and distribute the flow?
Actually I had two nanos and an AquaClear 110 on my 10g nano...lol...SW tanks like LOTS of flow. Anyways...I think the nano would be fine in your 20g as long as you don't need lots of movement...it would be good for some gentle additional flow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts