The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this bee in my bonnet which has been buzzing into my ear that in a high lighted planted aquarium, when all the colour bands are present in high intensity, each of the plant specie will be satiated with energy by absorbing their favourite colour band, by producing the pigments to do so and thus being compelled to show their most colourful self.

So after more than a month of neglect while I corrected the lights and renewed all the wiring and CO2 supply; I have severely pruned away the rank growth, and done a water change.

The size of the tank is – 72” – 36” – 24” high
The lights are 3 X 150W 10000K MH, + 2 X 150W 3000K MH, + 3 X 40W 6500K T8, + 2 X 40W “Azoo Tripower” (magenta coloured) T8

I am a bad photographer the attachment has been resized but I have not played with the colours.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Wow! That is a spectacular tank. All the photo needs a something to indicate the scale, like a human hand or perhaps an elephant! This demonstrates one weakness of photos compared to actually being there.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
I cannot even imagine having that much light over a tank. Do you have any algae issues?
+1. Five metal halides and five T8 bulbs seems just to be a little excessive.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As to the dimension, it is a little too high and wide for a coffin (someone had some intention to something with it and some formalin when I passed away so I am building another 6" away slightly shorter and wider to make her desist from such ideas). I built the inner sides with granite sheets. I do get some GSA on the anubias, then I have decided to up the phosphate and find out if Tom Barr is correct.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
As to the dimension, it is a little too high and wide for a coffin (someone had some intention to something with it and some formalin when I passed away so I am building another 6" away slightly shorter and wider to make her desist from such ideas). I built the inner sides with granite sheets. I do get some GSA on the anubias, then I have decided to up the phosphate and find out if Tom Barr is correct.
Sorry, but I can't resist this: This would be a whole new meaning to the term "trophy room":hihi:

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
It's more Stephen M. from Malta than I regarding high PO4 and GSA remission, good CO2 is part of the issue also that noted later.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As the picture I posted last week did not match what actually hits the eye; this week I did some colour corrections with Irfan. I also came closer both to the visible colour and the aquarium so you have split pictures of the left and right.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks very nice. I have a question though, If that is aluminum foil, is it there for the looks of it? Or is it there to help reflect the light leaving the tank/sunlight getting in? If its there to reflect light, give reflective mylar a try.

http://www.reflectivemylar.com/

edit: went and read back through, did you say that was Granite Sheets? looks so much like krinkled aluminum foil...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its about 2 weeks since the experiment started and the new growth does show more 'redish' colouration at depths I have never seen before in my long career in this hobby.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plants that prefer to absorb the green-blue spectrum, is what I would suppose produce carotenoid pigments to a density which will offset the normal green colour of the plant.

Those plants that prefer the red-green spectrum will show darkening of leaves to our eyes as the reflected blue-violet will not cause the brightness to offset that the absorbed spectrum, which the preferred viewing spectrum of the human eye.

You can judge if there are algae from the picture. I have not started dosing fertilisers as the tank went through severe pruning and light changes. I intend to wait till growth picks up.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update 11 Dec 09

Left

Center

Right

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi there

i am just building a 72 inch planted tank with 3 150w halides and 1 blue 54w tube
i just wondered what your processes have been in these last 3 months and what if anything you would have changed.

i know by the standards of this tank my lighting will be less bright but it will still be very intense light and i wondered about it being too much but i see here things are going superbly with your scape

cheers
stewart

·
Registered
95 Posts
also what substrate etc are you using with it

i plan on using eco complete for substrate
and i have 2 fx5s for the filtration
i am now looking into a proflora m602 co2 kit

a spec list for your tank would be interesting to see

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.