The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my husband just tattled and told me my folks were givin me 100$ for xmas. sooooooooooooooooooooo I decided to look for filters to replace the 'aqueon hob power filter"........it came with the kit gimmie a break LOL!

I reallllllllllllllly dont want to use a canister, but if anyone knows one that will hang over the back, id try it. I prefer HOB's.

My tank info is listed here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/98054-kittys-low-tech-budget-20g.html

If ANYONE knows of a good, low-budget/low-tech brand please lemme know! I have been outta the hobby for 6/7 years and last thing I used till the day they quit or i gave away was whispers LOL!

·
Registered
336 Posts
That looks too much like my daughters pool filter. Clogs easily, filter replacement is expensive.

I just bought an Eheim 2215 canister and wish I would have bought it years ago. Water has never looks so good (after 2 weeks) and you absolutely can not hear is run.

A 2213 would easily meet your needs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the responses guys! I actually didnt use whisper, well...like 2 of our tanks did but looking at the build 90% of our freshwater tanks were AC's.

I really, just really hate canisters. I have experienced sooooo many people bringing them back cussin thier very existence so I just steered clear and said hell to the no, especially when 3/4ths of the customers we sold them to, hated them.

buuuuuut, I might try the 2213 out. I just dont want somthing thats gonna spill, leak, or be a knock down drag out experience.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Your store must not have stocked Eheims or Renas. Or didn't know how to help people set them up correctly.

IMO there's not a more user-friendly filter than a Rena XP canister. :icon_smil Only thing you have to learn how to do is prime it correctly the first time, and then you're good to go!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Your store must not have stocked Eheims or Renas. Or didn't know how to help people set them up correctly.

IMO there's not a more user-friendly filter than a Rena XP canister. :icon_smil Only thing you have to learn how to do is prime it correctly the first time, and then you're good to go!
I totally agree!

I was sold on the Rena Xp because of a video on YouTube demonstrating the set up of the whole kit and kaboodle. Got me over the the mystery of setting up one. My first canister was a Rena filstar. Just do a search on YouTube. I think it's a video from That Pet Place, though I can't swear to it.

I then graduated to Eheims. I actually have in use both the Eheims and the Rena Filstars.

Go for the canister, you won't be sorry.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Canisters are definitely the best option to go. They last longer, they're more efficient, and they clean the water better than most HOB's do.

I have been very happy with the eheim models. I have a classic 2217, and a professional II 3e 2076. I just got the 2076 about 3 weeks ago, and i've got to say that it is BY FAR the best filter i have ever had. Definitely worth the money.

Trust me, canisters are better in the long run. You just need to buy a good one, and know how to set it up properly.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I really, just really hate canisters. I have experienced sooooo many people bringing them back cussin thier very existence so I just steered clear and said hell to the no, especially when 3/4ths of the customers we sold them to, hated them.
This doesn't make sense. What kind of customers do you serve?

Canisters are definitely the best option to go. They last longer, they're more efficient, and they clean the water better than most HOB's do.
Plus, canisters are cheaper in the long run because you don't have to buy expensive filter media.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.