The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My first post on this forum.

Is there any potential for an in-tank sump filter like this for a low-tech planted tank?

It has holes drilled all along the surface and consists of a thick foam layer acting as mechanical and biological filtration.

A small pump at the bottom. Water returns from one of the holes near the top.

There is also room to keep my heater neatly tucked away.

3 weeks in now with Aquasoil substrate and hard-scaping completed with a few plants and mosses in with weekly water changes.

Synaptoman

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's basically the filter design used in all-in-one tanks like the Fluval Spec (and many others) which are quite popular as planted tanks. The hidden heater is a bonus!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Should work fine, I did the same thing on a 15g tank. I used a plastic black bucket from home depot for the circular shape and just siliconed the bottom and edges.

Mine was only 1.5" thick plastic though leaving the middle area open for a large piece of Poret foam with the bucket trim holding it in place. drilling holes in it like you did should serve the same effect.

Looks good, nice DIY!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update on my in tank sump filter.

All seems OK after 6 weeks.

I added a a mesh bag of ceramic rings and an Activated Carbon sock with some filter floss on top. So no room for my heater in there anymore.

I am doing weekly water changes of about 70 % with 50/50 RO/Tap Water but haven't touched the filter as it still seems clean and I am dosing weekly with MicrobeLift Special Blend

pH is 5.75 normally and then 6.75 after a water change so I'm assuming the Aquasoil is still an influence.

some images

Any comments or advise would be appreciated

Synaptoman

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looks fine - not sure I'd call it an in tank sump, more like a DIY filter inspired by a hamburg matten filter....or a DIY box filter. In any case, I'm big on DIY solutions in the hobby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts