The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have decided that my 40b should have a snail. I used to have a nerite in there, and it grew to impressive proportions, living a good number of years in previous tanks I have had, before finally passing. The one thing I did not like about it were the endless blankets of dud eggs it laid .. everywhere.

So, I am looking for a nice large-ish snail that would not leave blankets of crusty dud eggs everywhere to take its place. It is a planted tank, so no munching on live plants. A preference for diatoms is ideal.

Any suggestions? I initially liked the look of the apple snail, but read on planetinverts that they will eat live plants, so that is a no go.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I honestly dont know all too much about it yet, but I recently picked up a black rabbit snail that looks pretty cool. (LFS actually sold it as an elephant snail)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I find horned nerites don't really lay eggs (and the ones that they do lay are very inconspicuous). I find older nerites or nerites kept as the only individual of their kind in a tank don't really lay eggs.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Apple snails can be cana or diffusa formerly called bridgesii. Cana will grow larger and eat live plants, brigs do not touch live plants and are usually sold as mystery snails. Cana come usually in their natural color which is brownish, brigs or mystery snails come in a variety or line bread colors. I have had mystery snails for years in planted tanks and they were great to have. Never touched the live plants only decaying plant matter and left over fish food.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Those rabbit snails are awesome! The only downfall is they are diggers so they don't work well in a *dirted* tank.
Mine is in a dirted tank and does no digging that I've seen yet. I've had it about 6 weeks or so now and it seems to stay on the surface of the substrate.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My horned nerites lay quite a few eggs. Not as many as the bigger cousins, but still enough to bug me.

Throw a couple of cups of crushed coral in with your substrate and see what kind of ramshorns you can grow. This guy was in an experimental tank and is easily three to four times the size of any of my other rams. I have good luck with them as cleaners and they don't seem to bother my plants. Next up I'm going to try and grow a giant blue one :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
is that the size of a dime? nickle?
Nickel. Maybe a little bigger. It grew that big in about two months too. I have dozens of pink/red, blue, and leopard in other tanks and bowls, and none of them are close to that size.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.