The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made numrorus thread reagarding my 5.5 gallon and I'm in need of some more help. I have a 5.5 gallon with alot of peacock moss attached to african root wood. My filter is a zoomed 501 canister filled with foam and biorings. My light is a standard 14 watt 8000k flourecent. My temp in 74 digrees.

During the day my moss seems to do ok its sprouting new shoots everywhere but the older moss is turning translucent and then brown. It seems like the moss is living to die. My water is crystal clear and I have alot of movement. The dieing moss seems to be attacted by brown slime although there isnt alot of it. The moss looks kinda crusty. At night the moss seems to do worse then in the light hours. I have my light set to 10 hours a day.

Is this a nutriant defficency?

I recieved the moss 5 days ago in the mail.

Is it just ajusting to my tank?

I have a bottle of Excel and Flourish and with a dropper for measuing.

Should I start doseing? if so how much?

I have dosing plan but I'm not experienced enough to know if I'm right. I've heard moss can be sensative to Excel so I dont want to over do it. I dont want to add any other plants at this time to soak up any excess nutriance.

I was thinking of dosing .25ml of Excel dayly and .25 Of flourish 2 days a week. And I was thinking one water change per week and a double dose of excel at that time. I'm thinking lightly on the excel since moss is slow growing under my light, and I don't want any excessive build up for algae.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
to me, it sounds like the old moss is adjusting to your tank and dying off and you're getting in some nice new healthy moss. for your tank, i would dose .50ml of excel. i would do a weekly water change. do you have any other planted tanks that you are dosing? if you do, when you do your wc from there, you can use the water to top off or replace the water in your 5.5g tank. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Moss is generally a lot less needy than other plants. I think it'll do fine once it recovers.

If you plan to grow other plants down the road though, your light is not strong enough. You should be looking at something more along the lines of 30-40 watts. Also, for ferts, check out the link in my signature for dosing nano tanks.

Good luck! :proud:

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the tips guys. When I turned the lights on this morning the moss looked kinda shabby. I dosed .5ml excel and .25ml of flousrish when the lights came on.

The moss looks to be recovering for now, some of the dieing moss is turning green again, the brown gunk is clearing up also.

I'm debating whether I should dose excel agian tomarrow, or wait and see what happens and dose every other day. I'm being catious and dont want to over do it.

I was thinking of a light upgrade and getting a coaralife 18 watt pc. If I did would I have to add co2 or can I get away with Excel?

I wanted to start low tech and at the bottom of the plant chain till I get a grasp on this whole balance and planted aquarium thing. Eventualy I want to work my way up to a large tank with a high tech set up. I've been reading a looking at pictures of planted tanks for years. I got bored with just keeping cichlids and wanted to try something new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.