The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of my first real planted tank. It's going to be an ADA Mini M with an Ehiem 2213 canister filter. There will be an in-line heater and ceramic CO2 diffuser to help keep equipment out of the tank. I have a left over Reef Keeper Jr from my saltwater days and I would like to use the ph probe to control my CO2. Are they any ready made solutions or DIY plans for in-line probes? Or is this a disaster waiting to happen?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The water the pH probe sees, when it is in line will not have the same concentration of CO2 as the tank water. So, the pH will not be indicative of the amount of CO2 in the tank. It isn't very indicative of the CO2 concentration even when it is in the tank, but an inline one would give an almost meaningless reading.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The water the pH probe sees, when it is in line will not have the same concentration of CO2 as the tank water. So, the pH will not be indicative of the amount of CO2 in the tank. It isn't very indicative of the CO2 concentration even when it is in the tank, but an inline one would give an almost meaningless reading.

I disagree...slightly. This problem has occured to me before, but I believe that placing the probe inline upstream of the co2 injection would provide you with as accurate of a reading as you would get at any single point in the tank(assuming you have excellent circulation in the tank). As long as it's a closed loop system, the water coming out of the tank should contain the same amount of co2 as the tank itself.

It'd be simple enough to test(I just haven't) by checking the pH of multiple points in the tank compared to your inline probe.

I'll be setting up a 60-P here in the next month or so and can test this, if no one ever has.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts