The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m venturing into new territory. I want to use in-line heaters for my tanks. One is a 20 G long and the other is a 30 Gallon. I have read the some use Hydor’s but have not read about any others.

Are there others?

What are the pro’s and cons?

One of the things I hate about my submersible heaters is that they always seem to detach from the glass. I thought about using magnets but if I e to expend more resources then why not go the in-line route and do away with a second issue the nee to hide the heater.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I'm about to switch over to a Hydor inline unit for my 54g. Everything I have heard about them sounds good!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no negatives to the Hydors here running multiple units and like the inline heater without any complaints.
I'm about to switch over to a Hydor inline unit for my 54g. Everything I have heard about them sounds good!
That's what I read too.

Thank for the support.

I haven't checked yet, are there different sizes for differing tanks; or is it one size fits most.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the past I have ran multiple heaters at lower wattage just in case the heater got stuck in on position. With these it seems that you can only put one in the system and there is probably at least some flow restriction because of it being there.

So, it seems also that there are only 2 options in size 200 watt and 300 watt.

Is there a Dial temperature indicator?
Are the temperatures marked on the dial?
Just how accurate is the dial indicator?

With 200 watts being the lowest I could cook my 20 gallon tank in no time flat. Fish soup anyone?

Anyway, just trying to figure this out way ahead.

Thanks for the help.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Hydor Inline 300 watt in my 120 gallon discus tank that I keep @ 84 degrees. Have a submersible (200? watt) as a backup that hasn't come on since I put the Hydor in. No negatives from me!

Tony

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry, didn't completely read your last post before jumping in .........

So, it seems also that there are only 2 options in size 200 watt and 300 watt.

Is there a Dial temperature indicator? YES
Are the temperatures marked on the dial? YES
Just how accurate is the dial indicator? Numbers every 6 degrees, dot every two. Once I got mine set (dial @ 85) it is one degree off my digital thermometer (84), but has held the temp at 84 +- 0.5 degrees.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, if I should put the 200 watt heater on my 20 G Long and my 30 Gallon (thats two heaters) I should be OK wanting to keep the temp at 80 degrees. Right? say plus or minus 2 degrees.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
My tank is 54g so I'm not sure if I need the 200w or the 300w. Those things are bigger than I expected, I checked one out at the lfs. Very cool, though.

I'm not sure why they would reduce flow, though (an above post mentioned it) with the exception of the elbows/turns in the plumbing, etc. Is there some obstruction or does the water just flow through a heated tube?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tank is 54g so I'm not sure if I need the 200w or the 300w. Those things are bigger than I expected, I checked one out at the lfs. Very cool, though.

I'm not sure why they would reduce flow, though (an above post mentioned it) with the exception of the elbows/turns in the plumbing, etc. Is there some obstruction or does the water just flow through a heated tube?
The flow reduction is purely speculation. Actually more of a question.

So maybe they reduce the flow maybe they don't ... Maybe someone with hand-on knowlege could tell us ...

... enquiring minds want to know. :)

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It's sort of like with different types of reactors, people will say that it definitely reduces flow or that it definitely doesn't - it's a forum so nobody is bound to anything and they can be as dogmatic as they like :)

So, I'm always wanting to know the reason for some of the 'facts' that go around, rather than just hearing everyone's interpretation of their experiences. But, yea I'm curious to hear if anyone reports reduced flow - seems like it wouldn't reduce much if it's hollow/unobstructed/same diameter as your tubing, etc. But then, almost every device introduces an elbow or bend (or 2) and those are known to reduce flow.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's sort of like with different types of reactors, people will say that it definitely reduces flow or that it definitely doesn't - it's a forum so nobody is bound to anything and they can be as dogmatic as they like :)

I think I'm in your camp on this point.

So, I'm always wanting to know the reason for some of the 'facts' that go around, rather than just hearing everyone's interpretation of their experiences. But, yea I'm curious to hear if anyone reports reduced flow - seems like it wouldn't reduce much if it's hollow/unobstructed/same diameter as your tubing, etc. But then, almost every device introduces an elbow or bend (or 2) and those are known to reduce flow.
I always want to know why as well.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the 300W and haven't noticed any difference in flow. I would think that the barbs to connect the heater cause a bit of turbulence, so I'm sure there is some reduction in flow, but it is minimal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 300w hooked up to my 75 gallon planted tank and love it. The temperature remains constant (77 degrees f) and it's very easy to adjust. Literally 'set and forget.' The only downside is that it's a tad bulky (maybe 12" long or so).

Does it reduce flow? I doubt it. I have the 5/8" model (comes in two sizes, 5/8" or 1/2") and the water flows straight through it. If you look through it, there are no obstructions, just make sure you put it on the output of the filter and not the input so it doesn't get filthy. Once I have the budget, I'll be purchasing a 1/2" model and replacing a submersible heater with it on another tank.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The flow reduction is purely speculation. Actually more of a question.

So maybe they reduce the flow maybe they don't ... Maybe someone with hand-on knowlege could tell us ...

... enquiring minds want to know. :)

Best wishes,
Wes
I did actual measurements of my 5/8" 300w hydor with my Eheim 2078. Data on my blog. Short answer is that it reduces the flow but you probably wouldn't notice it casually. IIRC it's about 15% reduction.

jim

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have 3 Hydor ETH heaters and love them.

There are actually 3 models: the ETH 200 is 200W with 12mm or 1/2" barbs, the ETH 201 is 200W with 16mm or 5/8" barbs and the ETH 300 is 300W with 16mm or 5/8" barbs.

I would be uncomfortable using the 200W model on a 20G tank as there is always the possibility of overheating with a 200 watt heater.

Another solution for suction cups that no longer hold well is to make your own hanging bracket. I use the clear acrylic wreath hangers that hang on the front door of your house. I don't have a pic of my DIY mod but it is very simple to make yourself. I actually made one for my Eheim intake pipe because I hate buying new suction cups.

Cut off the 'loop' at one end of the hanger, if the hanger is really long you can get 2 heater holders from it. Decide where you want to mount the heater clips, submersible heaters can be mounted lower on the hanger. I used #4 x 1/2" long stainless pan head phillips screws to mount the heater clip to the wreath hanger, predrilling both. Make sure the hole you drill in the acrylic wreath hanger is larger than the screw threads or you will crack the acrylic.

So if you are handy with a drill, this is a very easy project to make yourself. The wreath hanger is clear so you don't really notice it in the tank. Here is an online pic link of the hanger http://www.save-on-crafts.com/wreathhanger.html I got mine at Kmart last Christmas.

This project can also be done with acrylic or plexiglas that has been cut into strips if you can't find wreath hangers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 3 Hydor ETH heaters and love them.

There are actually 3 models: the ETH 200 is 200W with 12mm or 1/2" barbs, the ETH 201 is 200W with 16mm or 5/8" barbs and the ETH 300 is 300W with 16mm or 5/8" barbs.

I would be uncomfortable using the 200W model on a 20G tank as there is always the possibility of overheating with a 200 watt heater.

Thanks Dee, that's what I was getting to ... finanlly. Flow restiction may be a good point, but fish soup is the point here; rather avoiding having fish soup. :)

BTW: I finanlly got those Microgeophagus altispinosus. There are some shots here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/143535-biotope-bolivian-ram-new-pix.html

Thanks for lookin'

Best wishes,
Wes

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I have one, best purchase every made as far as heaters go. One important thing to know, it must be mounted vertically. If you mount it at even a small angle, it slows the flow and from what customer support told me, can shorten the life of the heater considerably. I'm using the 200 watt on my 55 and it keeps the temperature at a steady 78 degrees (what it's set to). Reduction in flow was so minimal that I didn't even notice after setting it up. I did a high tech test of letting it run without the heater and putting my hand under the output nozzle and letting it run with heater and putting my hand under. ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.