The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided that I should upgrade my heaters for winter. Not too confusing, but I want to go with an in line for my 65 with a sunsun type canister filter, do I really only have one option, or am I just not looking hard enough? Also does anyone know what size tubing is used with these? I grabbed my calipers and measured the tube, but it obviously isn't the OD that matters (It was a little over 3/4").

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feel I'm in the same jam you are in. I have a SunSun 304a (and love it). The tubing is 3/4 ID. I just bought a Hydor ETH 300w 5/8 inch to keep my tank warm over the long long long and brutal winter. (My home is a turn of the century drafty "character" with period window and questionable insulation.)

It is possible to hook the Hydor into the outflow of the SunSun by removing the red friction fittings and slipping a small section of 5/8' tubing over the barbs (this acts as a gap filler between the 3/4' tube and the heater). Secure with appropriate hose clamps. The only issue is that it does slightly neck-down the flow a tad, but the 304 has enough "ummph" to get the job done.

In the future I'll be fitting the tank with a circulation pump (perhaps a SunSun 302) which will "power" the CO2 reactor and heater.

Good Luck

(BTW Hydor is not the only in-line heater solution. See Here 3/4 of the way down, Parts PAHM-12 and PAHM-22)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your tank is big enough and can use more circulation, my only other suggestion is maybe adding separate closed loop for your heater and maybe a pvc co2 reactor with the appropriate sized tubing.
It's a 65g. I like the idea, but I don't run co2 in my oscar's tank (although she does have a few plants I don't care about). Maybe I can just run another small filter for heating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.